General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Thu 21-Nov-13 14:34:33
Print Post

Moving Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hi

I have a master socket in the hall which I have to move soon as we are going to have an extension built and the current master socket sits in the middle of where the doorway to the new bit will be. I was going to pay the £130 or whatever it is to have BT move the master socket to the room where my router etc are currently located.

I am also going to upgrade to fibre (FTTC) as it is now available to my address.

My question is whether it is better to move the master socket first and get the fibre upgrade afterwards or whether to have both done at the same time. I understood that there might be a possibility to get it done for free if done at the same time but seems it might cause complications and I would rather pay upfront than have problems later. Would appreciate advice.

thanks
Standard User binary
(regular) Thu 21-Nov-13 14:54:49
Print Post

Re: Moving Master Socket

[re: Heyokah] [link to this post]

How far do you want the master socket moved? Much further into the house, or just on the other side of the hallway? How does the location of where you'd like it to be relate to the existing wiring that comes into your house?

When I had my FTTC service installed, the (Kelly) engineer happily moved the master socket to a new location - however, (a) the old master socket was of the pre-linebox design and so a new one had to be installed anyway, and (b) the new location was in an easy place basically just after where the existing line came into the house from outside.

The standard advice of being nice and polite to the engineer, offering a cuppa and a biscuit, moving any furniture out of the way etc does all seem to help when making an 'above and beyond' request.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-13 16:14:09
Print Post

If you have a line fed from an overhead cable, then it should be fairly easy to relocate, if it's fed from underground with no cable on the outside of your property then it makes it rather complicated to move.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Thu 21-Nov-13 16:47:00
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks. It comes from above.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:46:05
Print Post

Then it should be just a case of making sure the existing cable will reach you're preferred location.

If you're going to get the socket moved when you have fibre installed perhaps prepare things and make it as easy as possible for the engineer and he may well move it for you.

Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 23:41:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to