General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Thu 21-Nov-13 16:18:31
Print Post

Set up changes for Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi

Would like some advice please on changes to my set up that may be required if I upgrade to fibre (FTTC).

Currently I have a micro-filter which has 2 outputs. One to my modem and one for telephone. Since the fibre faceplates don't need micro-filters are there the equivalent 2 outputs on the faceplate itself?

On the telephone side I have a wired connection to a dect transmitter with a wired connection from that to a separate dect telephone base station and a wireless connection from the transmitter to 2 separate receivers which in turn have wired connections into 2 sky boxes.

On the broadband side, I have a wired connection into a modem and from that into an airport extreme. From there have a wired connection into a desktop and a wired connection to a 200 Mbps wireline transmitter and from that have 3 receivers - one connected to a sky box, one connected to an airport express at the back of the house and another connected to an airport express in the shed at the end of the garden. This gives me full coverage everywhere.

The Openreach estimate is 60.8Mb to my house. I want to know if the above will all still work with fibre or whether anything will need to be upgraded (I read somewhere about maybe needing 500 Mbps wireline?).

I am currently with Zen for BB and if I upgrade with them I guess I will only need a new modem but I am tempted by BT Infinity and would be given a home hub 5 which doesn’t have a separate modem. Can it be used simply as a modem with its router functionality switched off in order to preserve my network as it is since it is unlikely the airport expresses will be compatible with the HH5?

thanks
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 16:39:43
Print Post

Re: Set up changes for Fibre

[re: Heyokah] [link to this post]

The FTTC plate maintains the existing phone socket and adds an additional socket for the modem.
Assuming all your kit connects to just a single point I don't see why it shouldn't work as is.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-13 17:26:22
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
The FTTC plate maintains the existing phone socket and adds an additional socket for the modem.
MrSaffron's web site has pictures of the FTTC filter that show how it fits together. If you click that link, Heyokah, you'll see that, as Ribble explains, there should be no need to change your setup.

I have Zen FTTC and am very happy with it. It's a question of weighing up the pros and cons - Zen has a 12 month minimum contract period (the same as Openreach imposes on the underlying wholesale FTTC connection), UK based support and static IP (you'd keep the same IP address(es) you have now if you migrate your existing ADSL connection to FTTC). BT Infinity has a longer minimum contract period (18 months, I believe), support that is largely offshore and dynamic IP. However, BT Infinity includes BT Sport and the Home Hub 5.

I don't believe there's a way of setting up the Home Hub 5 as a transparent bridge, like an Openreach FTTC modem. The Openreach modem should connect directly to your Airport Extreme.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 20:59:28
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The Openreach modem should connect directly to your Airport Extreme.

It does quite nicely, I did this for about 6 months, then bought my Asus.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Thu 21-Nov-13 22:21:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I thought that the Home Hub 5 comes without a separate openreach modem as it has an integrated modem.
Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Thu 21-Nov-13 22:31:49
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thank you.

I am very aware of how good Zen are and I wouldn't want to leave - but it is easy to be seduced by shiny advertising and BT Sport.......
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 22:51:49
Print Post

[re: Heyokah] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Heyokah:
I thought that the Home Hub 5 comes without a separate openreach modem as it has an integrated modem.

Not sure why you're replying to me, but yes, that is the case. Assuming you get a 5. There are lots of us on the forums with older HH who are using other routers with the openreach modem. I wonder if you can ask an openreach installer to fit a modem when a HH 5 is supplied? Anyone know?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:48:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

At present Openreach FTTC installs include the openreach modem ( unless it's a PCP only/ self install trial) so you should expect to be left with the modem anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:57:03
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Those who don't get left the modem probably had an engineer who has done the self-install course and knows the HH5 will do the job.

If I had paid (or got for free) for an engineer install I would ask for the Openreach modem, gives you a bit of backup for that horrible day when your HH5 gets fried by lightening.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 23:48:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That sounds good. I want the service but not the HH. Just want to plug their modem into my existing Airport Extreme.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to