General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sjdean
(member) Thu 21-Nov-13 17:30:25
Print Post

Complex Fibre Solution

[link to this post]

In relation to my cab, I heard that the fibre that is needed for my cabinet, is particularly complex, the same for the other one down the road.

Does anyone know what that might mean, and why would one fibre run be more complicated than another?

Im just mesmerised at all the work being scheduled in at surrounding areas to clear blockages and ducts and install hundreds of metres of new trunking in some cases, new joint boxes etc, and wonder why mind is "particularly" complicated?

II realise that this isn't much to go on, but hypothesis would be interesting.

Simon

CompuServe > PIPEX > Demon > BlueYonder > plusnet > Be*
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Nov-13 17:40:38
Print Post

Re: Complex Fibre Solution

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

My only thought is to grab some of this, mix it with some of this, add some of this and not worry about things that you can neither control, expedite or will receive in depth detail on.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Nov-13 17:55:07
Print Post

Maybe it means no-one in Openreach knows what is going on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sjdean
(member) Thu 21-Nov-13 18:29:53
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
My only thought is to grab some of this, mix it with some of this, add some of this and not worry about things that you can neither control, expedite or will receive in depth detail on.

Or put another way, you don't know, and instead of seeing if someone else has been in a similar situation and knows what the secret lingo means, you think I should just give up and get drunk? Well I plan to do that anyway...

Standard User sjdean
(member) Thu 21-Nov-13 18:31:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Maybe it means no-one in Openreach knows what is going on.

That is possible. Certainly they said they have "no solution" yet. Of course that may just be because they haven't done anything on it yet so don't actually know what their plan is. But worth asking the question (Im giving them the benefit of doubt here).

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Nov-13 19:19:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjdean:
Or put another way, you don't know, and instead of seeing if someone else has been in a similar situation and knows what the secret lingo means, you think I should just give up and get drunk? Well I plan to do that anyway...

It's what I've done quite a bit having started to campaign in February 2012 to show Openreach that a cabinet should've been included in their commercial rollout.

Though that level of drunkenness won't come close to how I'll be when all the residents who've offered to buy me a drink when the cabinet goes live deliver on that.

Anyone know where I can get a spare liver?

To answer the original post yes I have a fair idea, however I'm not going to speculate as I think it wouldn't be constructive.

The drink I recommended really is excellent by the way. Way better use of your time than contemplating Openreach unblocking ducts and deploying new ones if the existing ones are full, alongside the complexities of getting a viable fibre route back to an aggregation node.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Thu 21-Nov-13 19:19:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Nov-13 20:49:34
Print Post

... unblocking ducts and deploying new ones if the existing ones are full, alongside the complexities of getting a viable fibre route back to an aggregation node.
sounds like a liver transplant.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sjdean
(member) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:57:19
Print Post

To answer the original post yes I have a fair idea, however I'm not going to speculate as I think it wouldn't be constructive.

Well speculate in a PM. I know speculation here is looked down upon.

Just in expansion - the way the email worded, makes it sounds like it's more than just blocked ducts. I mean Cab 13 is within half a mile of approximately three other cabinets. I understand that an aggregation node could be sited by the PCP/FTTC cab? However my suspicion is Cab 13 could be an aggregation node itself. But...

Two of those cabinets aren't yet activated, but that wouldn't necessarily make the work more complex, just that they need to be activated and dependent upon those. Alternatively if the route is blocked by mature trees, crushing ducts, well, that's not more complex for the fibre solution itself either is it really, it's just that they have to do some duct unblocking.

Of course the "complex solution" could be just a wild fibre route around half of the area until it gets to the cab. But I don't necessarily see why that's complex either.

I don't have any livers free unfortunately, though I have a high degree of tolerance to alchohol, so if you need some help, let me know.

Edited by sjdean (Thu 21-Nov-13 22:04:58)

Print Thread

Jump to