General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User theooos
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:09:14
Print Post

The Cabinet Calamity

[link to this post]

Hi there,

So it's been announced that Battle should be receiving fibre optics soon, huzzah! After checking through loads of online tools, it seems that Battle is to be connected almost entirely through FTTC. However, after spending many hours roving up and down my street, I can't seem to find any cabinet anywhere. I was wondering if any of you lovely folk have any way of discovering which box is closest to me/that I am connected to. My postcode is TN33 0JS.

Thanks hugely, any response will be greatly appreciated. BT's responses thus far has been lackluster.

Thanks again,

Theo

Edited by theooos (Thu 21-Nov-13 21:10:24)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:30:09
Print Post

Re: The Cabinet Calamity

[re: theooos] [link to this post]

The bt wholesale availability checker (link on main page) will tell you the cabinet number if applicable.
Standard User theooos
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:35:30
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks, this is what it says:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ********** on Exchange BATTLE

Availability Date
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

Does this mean I'm connected directly to the exchange? And if so, is that a bad thing?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by theooos (Thu 21-Nov-13 21:41:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:40:18
Print Post

You might like to edit your phone number out of that post.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:40:19
Print Post

I suggest you edit out your phone number PDQ!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:40:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Snap grin

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User theooos
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:42:42
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thank you both!!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:42:54
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Yep, using an iPad and got a full stop instead of the desired shriek. Else I would have been there first.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Nov-13 08:55:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by theooos:
Does this mean I'm connected directly to the exchange? And if so, is that a bad thing?
No cabinet number means your line runs directly to the exchange without going through a cabinet - a so-called Exchange Only line.

Because of restrictions imposed to prevent problems with ADSL, FTTC cannot be offered using equipment installed at the exchange. Unless the network is reorganised to move your line into a cabinet, which is not normally done when rolling out FTTC, but has been done in some cases with the use of BDUK funding, you will not be getting FTTC.

If the FTTC roll out is part of your area's BDUK project, I'd get in touch with them to see if they are able to offer you a superfast service via network reorganisation or the use of FTTP.

Print Thread

Jump to