General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ianfuture
(learned) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:02:09
Print Post

Why is my Fibre estimate so slow?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I've recently checked the fibre speed i can expect to get in my house and it's approx 26.4mbps down and 5.7mbps up..this suggested to me the cabinet was quite a way away. So I went looking for the cabinet listed in the checker and I reckon it's probably 300m as the crow flies, and following the roads about 400-450m.

Looking at this page here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

It suggests I should be getting closer to 40mbps and 15mps.

Any ideas why the massive difference? The only thing I can think of is there's a restriction at the cabinet, or the route of the cable is rather longwinded and it really is closer to 1km from the house, or the speeds on the page mentioned are not correct.

Any info to help my understanding much appreciated
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:04:44
Print Post

Re: Why is my Fibre estimate so slow?

[re: ianfuture] [link to this post]

Maybe they think your cable is compromised - bridge taps or aluminium for example.
The only real way is to get it installed, these are just estimates after all.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User ianfuture
(learned) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:10:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

speed checker returns same speed for FTTC Range A and Range B so i thought that'd rule out taps or poor line?

Have other people's estimates been that far off the expected estimates on the previously mention thinkbroadband page ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:15:42
Print Post

The basic problem is that you don't know the line length.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User ianfuture
(learned) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:18:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

true enough.

Interestingly a phone number for a house 12 houses up the road returns exactly same speeds in the BT checker, and the pub the otherside of the car park of cabinet returns almost the max 80mps down and 20mps up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Nov-13 17:12:44
Print Post

Cables tend not to zig zag across roads, so it may go past your house on the wrong side and then come back to you.

As others have said the checker is only an estimate, and our speed table is based on some good data from some years ago, with a few tweaks thrown in from observations on peoples actual connections.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:25:38
Print Post

They've dropped the estimated speeds several times on the checker now.

My estimate was originally 57/20 in July 2012, now it is 33/6 and I'm getting 47/9. I've had slightly higher speeds, but they've never lasted long term.

Oh, and I'm 450 meters from the cabinet, guestimated with the most likely cable route.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 23-Nov-13 18:26:33)

Print Thread

Jump to