General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Wed 27-Nov-13 16:16:49
Print Post

Estimated speed dropped after 6 months?

[link to this post]

Just today was checking my estimated FTTC speed its dropped from 54mb to 41mb? Its been 54mb for the last 6 months :/
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Nov-13 16:32:14
Print Post

Re: Estimated speed dropped after 6 months?

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

As more users come on more crosstalk occurs and so speeds may reduce. Perhaps it is this resulting in them lowering the estimate (but it is just an estimate and you could get more with a real life connection).
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Wed 27-Nov-13 16:37:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hope it doesnt as I was getting 70mb for the first few weeks :/ then they stuck me at my esstimate but tbh this week my ping has got better going from my ususal 22ms to 15ms.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 27-Nov-13 16:56:13
Print Post

I didn't know they had recently revised any estimates: there was a general revision (almost all downwards) a few months ago.

A recent update to HG612 modem firmware appears to the the reason that quite a few people have had interleaving removed recently: it typically takes DLM a week or more after the upgrade to see the improvement as stable and remove interleaving. That could well be the reason for the ping improvement.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Nov-13 17:27:01
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Estimates have certainly recently dropped again. My home estimate has gone from 57 to around 40 and now it's at 33!

I'm currently getting 47/9

Standard User ashmo
(regular) Wed 27-Nov-13 19:52:41
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Very odd I'm getting the best speed test for the last 5 months, hope it sticks! smile

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3129611708
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Mon 09-Dec-13 18:00:00
Print Post

Changed again now what does clean mean?

http://s18.postimg.org/5ftwxnjt5/Untitled222.jpg

Currently getting a solid 56mb down
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Dec-13 18:30:25
Print Post

Clean - what you can expect if there are no extension wiring affecting the connection, or other things that impact on the VDSL2 performance.

VDSL2 can remotely test for things like extension wiring that is pulling down the speed.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6173-bt-wholesale...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Mon 09-Dec-13 18:32:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Clean - what you can expect if there are no extension wiring affecting the connection, or other things that impact on the VDSL2 performance.

VDSL2 can remotely test for things like extension wiring that is pulling down the speed.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6173-bt-wholesale...

My line is pretty soild, no extentions, don't use WIFI, how do I get the speed up?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Dec-13 18:36:12
Print Post

If getting 56 Mbps from speed tests, then that is pretty close to 63 Mbps connection speed, there are IP overheads and protocol overheads on the VDSL2 to take account of so a 63 Mbps sync would have a speed of 60 Mbps if PC were perfect.

In short probably nothing extra to be gained other than a bruised head if you want to pester someone to increase the speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to