General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Dec-13 15:16:21
Print Post

Anyone Using the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite?

[link to this post]

Been reading about this apparently fast, cheap(relatively), router...anyone here using it? Is something like the MikroTik more powerful?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Dec-13 10:25:23
Print Post

Re: Anyone Using the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

A Mikrotik Colud Core will be more powerful and have a better feature set.

The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter will be better for an office router whereas the Mikrotik routers can (and are) being used for core ISP network as they can do 10Gb fibre and every possible configuration you could think of.

I'll have to check at work if we've ordered any Edge routers yet. Than I can let you know what I think of them.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Dec-13 14:27:24
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

My post could have been a bit better expressed I suppose. I presume the ERL is more powerful than a cheap little MikroTik router hardware wise given its hardware acceleration for packet processing and encryption/decryption(though it doesn't yet hardware offload PPPoE meaning a max PPPoE connection of around 220Mb/s - PPPoE hardware offload is near the top of the Ubiquiti TODO list). When I used the word powerful in my original post I was encompassing the router OS. EdgeOS is basically Vyatta while MikroTik have RouterOS...

So mostly wondering whether RouterOS is that much better than EdgeOS/Vyatta?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Dec-13 14:50:27
Print Post

What would you be planning on using the EdgeRouter Lite for?

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Dec-13 14:59:53
Print Post

Just typical home use, but I'm a perpetual tinkerer and like playing around with hardware/software. Some people do crosswords, I like learning about IT. tongue
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Dec-13 15:22:26
Print Post

Same as me then wink

I'm currently playing with a Mikrotik board and mini-PCIe 3G card ... seem to have it working this time around with cheaper 3G only (21Mbps HSPA) ... £90 cheaper than the LTE version already installed at my Dad's house.

As you are just tinkering I doubt you'd be able to put either to the test...not unless you have a few hundred users on your LAN and a 100Mbps leased line. So might as well get one of each to play around with and learn. A cheap Mikrotik will only set you back £30+VAT. The EdgeRouter Lite is £70+VAT.

Have fun tinkering.

Standard User rscott
(member) Mon 09-Dec-13 11:08:27
Print Post

Unless you want to use OpenVPN with UDP support - that's not (and apparently will never be supported) by RouterOS.
  Print Thread

Jump to