General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jez9999
(member) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:04:22
Print Post

Warning about fibre

[link to this post]

In my opinion, every ISP offering fibre broadband should be forced to put something like this prominently in all of their promotional literature:

"Warning: fibre is a non-guaranteed service. That means we can provide you with a connection that works only 50% of the time and there's nothing you can legally do about it."

Right now I'm having a torrid time with my Zen connection, by the looks of it because of BT's network being terribly unreliable. There's nothing that can be done, and Zen can get no extra information on this from BT. As far as I know, things could just stay this bad for the rest of the year.

I know that one isn't paying for a "mission critical" service when one pays for residential broadband, but nevertheless perhaps it's time for OFCOM to mandate some kind of minimum availability and maximum number of disconnections per day that is acceptable for something described as a "broadband" service? At the moment, it seems ridiculous that they can just do what they want and call it a "non-guaranteed service".

Edited by jez9999 (Mon 02-Dec-13 13:04:36)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:26:46
Print Post

Re: Warning about fibre

[re: jez9999] [link to this post]

there's a legal requirement in any contract to provide something that meets the reasonable expectations of the customer given the product description. I doubt 50% downtime would pass that test, if indeed that is what is happening. Most people experience less than 1% if not 0.1%

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User jez9999
(member) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:30:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

By the way, your MaxDSL diagnostics site is dead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:34:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by jez9999:
By the way, your MaxDSL diagnostics site is dead.
Works for me.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:34:55
Print Post

not from here it isn't wink Perhaps it's your connection <ducks>

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Mon 02-Dec-13 13:35:07)

Standard User jez9999
(member) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:49:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Weird. There's something about this SeaMonkey profile that causes that page to give me "We are sorry, a system error has occurred. Please try again later." If I start a new profile, it works OK. I tried disabling all the addons in this profile and removing cookies for sites.google.com and googlepages.com, but I still get that error in this profile. Very strange.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:56:45
Print Post

TBH it sounds like you're suffering from a dodgy Openreach installation. It wasn't a cowboy contractor install, was it?

I can't imagine it's anything to do with Zen, it's well known they're perfect grin

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User jez9999
(member) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:59:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah unfortunately it was a contractor install. However, what do you mean by "dodgy"? I've checked the master socket and the wiring is fine. A quiet line test is fine.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Dec-13 14:05:12
Print Post

By dodgy, I mean it doesn't work reliably. For example, my BT Infinity install was done by a real Openreach employee and it's *perfect*.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Dec-13 15:35:59
Print Post

General warning

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

This poster has 5 threads on the same subject, three started today.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to