General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Computerman142
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 21:30:06
Print Post

Fibre estimate changed

[link to this post]

Hi all,

As I live 1000 meters from my fibre cabinet or there about's and have replaced my internal wiring with copper cat 6 cable, when I first looked on BT Broadband Available Checker my FTTC estimate was 52.6Mbps download and 15.7Mbps upload which didn't seem right as I only get 22-25Mbps download now with the cable replaced. But I have just recently checked again an my estimate has changed to:
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 63 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)71.7 44.1 20 15.4 -- Available

Which definitely cant be right as if no one one my street get 52.6 Mbps how can BT estimate this speed? I also checked someones else's address a few doors down from my house and they get and estimate what seems right:
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 26.9 19.1 6.1 4.2 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 21.9 10.5 5.4 2.2 -- Available

So do any of you think the new estimate and the old estimate are a glitch of some sort?

Also I have seen a few people posting about FTTC modem firmware updates and that their ping lowers and speed improves a bit. I have noticed that the ping when doing a speedtest has decreased a bit from 40ms to about 26-33ms, does this update apply to ECI modems and ECI fibre cabs to?

Last question sorry, Does anybody know the latest news on FTTC vectoring and whether BT have decided to go ahead with upgrading cabs after the trial they had in London?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Dec-13 22:34:26
Print Post

Re: Fibre estimate changed

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

Yes likely to be a glitch or two cabinet areas overlap slightly and the sums are a bit mad

The Braintree vectoring trial has not produced any definite timetable yet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 10-Dec-13 08:41:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I thought that at first as there is another FTTC cab 200m north of my house but I wasn't sure.

My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Dec-13 10:25:34
Print Post

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

Does your cabinet number match your neighbours in both directions?

Make sure you use the full address checker not just the postcode checker.

(newbie) Tue 10-Dec-13 11:44:16
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Yes, that is what I don't really get, the 26.9Mbps estimate is for a house a few doors south from my house. They are on a different DP but are still served by the cabinet that is 1000m away that I am connected to. But my address is served by a different DP to them, but the DP I am connected to serves 5 houses which all all have an estimate of 80Mbps (but currently get 22-25Mbps) and is about 20m north of that DP with 2 addresses with an estimate of 26.9 Mbps. Also if I go about 18m north of the DP I am connected to, their DP which serves about another 6 addresses are also connected to the same cab as me but they have an estimate of 11Mbps and mine is 80mbps? Then if I go about 170m further north there is another fibre cabinet which only serves the top end my postcode before it switches to a different postcode (I live on the main road). Sorry for the long explanation.

Print Thread

Jump to