General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User akwilliams
(learned) Tue 10-Dec-13 07:28:46
Print Post

BT HH5 & Intergrated VDSL

[link to this post]

Hey All,

I finally had my Infinity 2 installed last Wednesday. Unlike others, my installation went without a hitch. In fact i would go as far as saying it near on perfect. Sync is pretty much full wack at 80/20 - not really had a chance to test it too much as i work away from home.

Anyway, the question i have is with regards to the BT HH5. Go the HH5 through the post about a week ago. When the engineer did the installation he installed the white VDSL box which in turn connects to the HH5.

I was under the impression that the HH5 was an all-in-one box which did away with the need for the VDSL box?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-13 08:10:40
Print Post

Re: BT HH5 & Intergrated VDSL

[re: akwilliams] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by akwilliams:

Because openreach don't offer the wires-only VDSL service until Jan 1st. Your ISP has paid for the white modem and the full engineer install.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User akwilliams
(learned) Tue 10-Dec-13 08:45:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by akwilliams:

Because openreach don't offer the wires-only VDSL service until Jan 1st. Your ISP has paid for the white modem and the full engineer install.

So, i can put the RJ11 straight into the bottom of the HH5 and get rid of the VDSL box?

Any config changes on the HH5?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Dec-13 09:39:04
Print Post

Based on others who have had a wires-only by accident or fully booked it seems no changes to make.

BUT don't bother playing until a few days into the connection so that the DLM has settled down.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-13 09:44:14
Print Post

Had mine fitted yesterday. Wired straight from BT socket to HH5.
Guy that did the install, said that white box had been in and out of more houses than soft mick. I could have taken it off him as he offered.
But as I have a HH3 as well. Could not see the point of even more junk cluttering up the house.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Dec-13 11:22:38
Print Post

The experience of the mass of people here who purchased from Sky and are getting wires-only seems to disagree. Perhaps the final product is released on January 1st but Sky seem to have been on the trial and are merrily now using it as a commodity product.

More likely BT Retail aren't using the wires-only yet, conscious business decision on their part, but clearly getting ready to do so.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Dec-13 12:57:18
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

HH3 won't work without the separate modem, will it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Dec-13 16:23:11
Print Post

The installer didn't know, clearly.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-13 20:35:26
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
The experience of the mass of people here who purchased from Sky and are getting wires-only seems to disagree. Perhaps the final product is released on January 1st but Sky seem to have been on the trial and are merrily now using it as a commodity product.

Yes that seems to be the "de facto" case, despite the OR price list.

More likely BT Retail aren't using the wires-only yet, conscious business decision on their part, but clearly getting ready to do so.

Yes, the HH5 makes that clear.

However it will lead to problems in the future, as RevK made clear in his blog post a couple of weeks ago - the beauty of the Ethernet termination is the fault demarcation of the IP service is clear.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Dec-13 22:16:23
Print Post

However it will lead to problems in the future, as RevK made clear in his blog post a couple of weeks ago - the beauty of the Ethernet termination is the fault demarcation of the IP service is clear.

The same could be said for ADSL and at very least the option for the engineer install is still there.

Cost-benefit analysis on the part of the ISPs.

Interesting that the Reverend says that the Openreach modem is the demarcation point of the IP service, the IP service rides over the DSL and PPPoE segments. It becomes pure IP at the ISP, prior to that if using BT Wholesale it's riding over PPPoE over IP, PPPoE, no IP network as it's delivered to Wholesale via a layer 2 network, and VDSL.

It's the demarcation for VDSL but that's about all I'd have thought. There's another demarcation at the L2 switch between Openreach and the CP which is the Ethernet demarcation.

Bit confused by the Rev's terminology there but I'm sure he knows more than I do about this stuff.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to