General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(member) Wed 11-Dec-13 00:47:39
Print Post

G.FAST

[link to this post]

Hi,

Interesting news regarding G.FAST here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/10/gfast_startu...

Which has got me thinking.

I live in a area which has traditionally had major issues with broadband. I've been involved in campaigning for fibre broadband for the last few years. We are pretty much at the end of that journey and now have most houses connected to a mixture of FTTC and FTTP. BDUK monies are sorted and we hope see further properties connected over the next few years.

OK so the FTTP network is far from complete. If you live in an FTTP area you have maybe 25% chance of being SOOL.

Part of the problem in FTTP areas has been that BT have got themselves in a big mess with flats. I know this for a fact as I've had a conversation (face to face) with BT senior management on this subject. However, they have promised and promised and NOTHING has happened. However, even in a new build area they have just completed they have missed all the flats. Outside the initial flat trial area (MDU trials) I'm not aware of any flats being connected - there might be some.

In terms of the number of blocks not yet connected (but planned) we're talking the low hundreds.

We've not yet found a reason for this but had hints the permission was required for install of NON-PASSIVE equipment.

I'm now beginning to wonder if G.FAST is actually the MDU solution for FTTP and that we won't see wide deployment in FTTC areas. I surprised it's taken this long for an MDU solution?

Anyone know anything different?

Gareth
BT Internet 21CN ADSL 1.4Mbps/400Kbps
BT Infinity FTTP 166Mbps/20Mbps soon
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 11-Dec-13 02:06:09
Print Post

Re: G.FAST

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

I suspect both g fast and vectoring were not in the plans on day 1, the plans were initially to have more FTTP than is happening now, but since FTTP proved problematic (more expensive) these are effectively plan B. thats the way I see it.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Dec-13 07:41:42
Print Post

Far easier to just do FTTB with Ethernet distributing the fibre in the manner of Hyperoptic or VDSL 2 in the manner of many others rather than deploying a cutting edge technology in production.

Should be trials of it coming soon, could be in places like that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 11-Dec-13 09:16:36
Print Post

Cooperation by landlords would seem the easy solution to MDUs. A VDSL DSLAM in the basement, powerline comms as proposed for tower blocks in the West Midlands, etc.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Dec-13 09:30:20
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Answer is landlord co-operation.

G.Fast is some years from commercial roll-out to millions, and 100m is not far in many flats so may not be the ideal solution.

Ethernet distribution is more stable and understood well.

From the BT viewpoint anything that is outside the norm means increased costs so they move on and do other properties.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Thu 12-Dec-13 10:32:39
Print Post

Hi Gareth

I'm interested to hear more about your development, could you please drop me a line? My email address is sunita.sharma(at)hyperoptic.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best wishes

Sunita
Head of Marketing
Hyperoptic

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:08:38
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

Sunita, any chance of bring Hyperoptic plan to Telford area? I believe there are 90% of virgin customers around Telford using cable broadband rather than BT copper. Hyperoptic might benefits to all 90% customers rather than Virgin Media & BT FTTC.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Thu 12-Dec-13 11:10:28)

(isp) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:14:27
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

We're currently looking at the demand from residents living in cities around the UK - and we are also looking at large towns. Unfortunately Telford doesn't have the levels of demand we're seeing in other places around the UK (Telford residents are happy with their speeds from Virgin?) so it's unlikely to be on the next wave of new hyper-cities.

Best wishes

Sunita
Head of Marketing
Hyperoptic

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:16:38
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

I am virgin media customer as VM is overpriced for 120Meg and often high UBR with crazy high ping over 200ms and low speed down to 20Meg! Sick of it. As I know Hyperoptic do have very low ping 1ms or less. And excellent speed throughput.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Thu 12-Dec-13 11:21:41)

(isp) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:45:46
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

As much as I'd love to roll out services everywhere (including my own home!), we are prioritising and addressing areas where there's significant demand; where residents are desperate for speeds beyond single figures. That's our immediate focus although may change in the future.

Sunita
Head of Marketing
Hyperoptic

Print Thread

Jump to