General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kinny999
(newbie) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:35:28
Print Post

DSL checker query re. "availability date"

[link to this post]

Evening all, apologies in advance for the potentially repeated question.

I'm FTTC to become available now the exchange itself has been active for a few months.
DSL checker initially said between Sept13-March14 and each month its moved along to where it sits now at Dec13-March14. It now says an availability date for FTTC and Fibre multicast is available from March 31st 2014.

I think i probably know the answer to this but god awful 2mb down and .5 up is the reason for asking such an ambiguous question.

Is there any likelihood of the FTTC becoming available to me prior to the furthest away date on the DSLchecker/BT checker site or is there a "live date" in somebodies book somewhere that will determine when it goes live?

This is possibly me clutching at straws but i did notice that on DSL checker, the " FTTC range A (clean) / FTTC range b (impacted) section has appeared where it was not before, could this mean we're getting closer to a launch date?

I would be hugely thankful if anyone could give me any information less vague than is available to the phone staff at BT.

We are served by Cabinet 7 on the LYTHAM exchange and the postcode is fy85bz if anyone can use that information.

Sincere thanks once again.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:44:12
Print Post

Re: DSL checker query re. "availability date"

[re: kinny999] [link to this post]

'Fraid not frown. Even all the straws have been nicked.

The new layout of the checker happened recently - RONSKI opened a thread. All you can do is keep an eye open for markings on pavements near to the cabinet, for installation and supply to the FTTC one. Even those don't mean a lot, as it can take from a couple of weeks to many months after that for it togo live.

You could also check the local authority website for road works notifications. There's usually good stuff there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kinny999
(newbie) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:46:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I suspected as much, thanks for the reply though.

I'm starting to expect that March 31st date to start moving ever further away as we move into new year. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:50:30
Print Post

I expect they will be pushing hard next quarter.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kinny999
(newbie) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:53:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good god i hope so. It's a 3rd world problem but slow internet with everyone wanting to use it is a killer!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 04:22:24
Print Post

That's BT for you mate. BT never rush into anything. BT are awful taking too long before it activsted and live for FTTC to customer eg: roadworks.org date, installing cabinet, stood there for 3, 6, 9, 12 or even 18 months, then BT Wholesale checker a further delay from available date to accepting order then lastly a further delaying for openreach to installing and activated your FTTC at your property.

More likely anything from March 2014 until September/October 2015

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Thu 12-Dec-13 04:23:48)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 10:41:27
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Complete nonsense of course, as per.

Checker goes live as soon as the cabinet passes commissioning, barring issues. Cabinet goes into commissioning and testing as soon as it is complete, barring issues. The delay for install is because, shockingly enough, Openreach don't have enough engineers that they can install FTTC the moment you order it.

Some cabinets are delivered late, as expected with a project of this size, some are delivered early. Doesn't change that for a company that apparently never rush into anything BT are doing the fastest FTTC rollout in the western world.

You're a very special boy, Phil, and no doubt you'll be wanting special treatment when the cabinet goes live and be harassing Openreach / the BT CEO / God / Allah / Yahweh to install you first. Clearly so deserving.

Trust when you are enabled you'll post a speed test and either start worshipping BT in Katy Perry style or quieten up?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:05:02
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

^^ no comment to you. Yes I want FTTC to hurry up and get their butt here! BT CEO told me to calm down and it will come soon in February 2014 but I don't believe any word from BT CEO. More likely end of 2014.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Thu 12-Dec-13 11:06:00)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:12:01
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Indeed, they're just standing the cabinet for fun and will leave it dormant for several months for no apparent reason.

Seeing someone with 120Mb cable constantly whinging about not being able to get 80Mb via Openreach when, in this area, after 22 months of campaigning and waiting we finally have our cabinet meaning a deaf resident has just been able to have a sign language Face Time call with her parents for the first time in years really grates.

Most would be happy that they have SFBB of any kind. 1/4th of the population still don't, let alone the choice of Openreach or Virgin.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-13 11:17:20
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I rather have Hyperoptic than virgin media and bt fttc.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to