General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Thu 12-Dec-13 17:00:55
Print Post

Which lead please.

[link to this post]

After laying in Cat 6 cables from the Master Skt. to my Main PC and another out from there to the kitchen PC I now find that BT supply Home Hub 5 which has the modem built in. The engineer said that I could get a 20m cable with R11 ends and run that from the Master to the hub which I would like to be by the main PC.
So, two questions. What is the cable called ( i.e. different from a dsl cable?) and will the extra 20m make much difference to the speed?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Dec-13 17:40:58
Print Post

Re: Which lead please.

[re: Rytenuff] [link to this post]

Why do you need another cable - j you already have one installed. Just use RJ11 patch leads from Master socket to the socket your Cat6 is connected to and then at the other end another from socket to Hub.

In a perfect environment 20m will make an almost imperceptible difference, however, in a home with lights, central heating, TVs, fridges &c there is a lot more noise to be picked up and the could impact slightly (or if you are unfortunate - significantly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Thu 12-Dec-13 18:38:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't think I follow. At the moment I have the new faceplate which has I believe an RJ45 skt? lead going to the DSL input on the Home Hub 5. which I believe is an R11.
My Cat 6 RJ45 is in to one of the Giganet connectors on the Hub. The other end of that 20m cable terminated with an RJ45 is into the PC.
Are you saying I should plug the Cat6 RJ45 into the Master Skt. then plug the other end of the Cat6 which is again RJ45 into the R11 DSL Skt on the Hub?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Dec-13 18:47:39
Print Post

Have you run Cat6 and put an RJ45 on each end?

M H C

Standard User Rytenuff
(experienced) Thu 12-Dec-13 19:25:29
Print Post

I bought the Cat6 pre-terminated so yes, RJ45 on each end. As I said I expected a separate modem and router so it was the right thing to buy for these circumstances. It is not the sort of cable that could easily have one end cut off and re-terminated with an RJ11.
I need to buy a 20m cable with RJ45 on one end and RJ11 on the other end. I want a cable that is good quality but I don't know how good it needs to be. Is it just a single twisted pair? Is there anything I should avoid.
Grateful for any help.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Dec-13 19:42:03
Print Post

Unlikely that you will find one off the shelf. What you could do is get a back to back RJ45 coupler, fit that to one end and then connect a short RJ11 lead from that to the hub. RJ11 will fit into RJ45 sockets.

You would have been better installing infrastructure cabling and an RJ45 socket at each end but too late for that now.

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Dec-13 20:41:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Unlikely that you will find one off the shelf. What you could do is get a back to back RJ45 coupler, fit that to one end and then connect a short RJ11 lead from that to the hub. RJ11 will fit into RJ45 sockets.

One of these might do the trick:
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/RJ11maletoRJ45femalec...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Dec-13 20:44:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Or maybe 2 of...

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Dec-13 21:03:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That is an RJ45 Coupler with a RJ11 lead glued in!

But £7.34 - just bought some couplers at 20p each!

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Dec-13 22:07:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
That is an RJ45 Coupler with a RJ11 lead glued in! But £7.34 - just bought some couplers at 20p each!

Yep; money and rope etc smile I know we have a drawer full of RJ45 couplers at work smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to