General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ScottJames
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 12:43:47
Print Post

Would you recommend Plusnet?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I have just gone on to the BT Fibre checker and it finally says that I can receive Fibre broadband. Whoop!
So I am looking at who to go with and Plusnet is currently at the top of my list, but I was wondering if people would recommend them, and do they ever slow your speed down? is there anyone else that I should look at as well?

Thanks for any help or recommendations smile

EDIT: Also is the router that they provide any good?

Edited by ScottJames (Fri 13-Dec-13 12:45:44)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 13-Dec-13 12:52:35
Print Post

Re: Would you recommend Plusnet?

[re: ScottJames] [link to this post]

is a thread now in regards to their pro addon.

But assuming that issue gets fixed, the crunch is on unlimited plusnet fiber, the priority will only slow down traffic in one of 2 situations.

1 - you are doing things like streaming at same time as p2p, then the p2p would be slowed down.
2 - plusnet have an issue where they slow down low priority traffic and this should be uncommon only during outages and the like.

Since I am not a plusnet customer yet I cant give a personal opinion how it works in practice. But speed complaints are now very low from plusnet customers.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User ScottJames
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 12:56:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks Chrysalis

That all sounds pretty good. Plus they are doing the package for 11.99 for the first 4 months which I thought was pretty good!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Dec-13 13:19:26
Print Post

Make sure Plusnet don't put u on 40/10 on the wrong product. They often do this to many customers who order 80/20 had ended up with 40/10 connection. But, it was easy fixed by plusnet staff on the forum.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Fri 13-Dec-13 13:20:03)

Standard User ScottJames
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 13:35:01
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Make sure Plusnet don't put u on 40/10 on the wrong product. They often do this to many customers who order 80/20 had ended up with 40/10 connection. But, it was easy fixed by plusnet staff on the forum.

I will keep an eye on that adslmax. Thanks for the heads up smile

My order has just been placed, and I have selected 3 install dates. Now I just have to get Christmas out of the way haha
Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Dec-13 13:42:36
Print Post

is it possible to tell which profile you are on from the customer end?
Standard User shinerweb
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 13:48:39
Print Post

I've been online since my 90's days with Pipex and Demon and in all that time, on various ISP's PlusNet have been by far the best.
Not only for their network performance, but mainly for their support.
They actually employ support techs who know what the heck they are talking about.

Since the 90's, I've only used Pipex, Demon Internet, Pipex -> Tiscali / Talk Talk and BT so my experience with others has been limited. (I did have 3 years in Texas back in 1999 on a 20meg up/down cable connection only to come back to the UK in 2002 to drop down to a 300k/500k up/down connection with Pipex which was a shock).

My father also switched over to PlusNet and they've been great with getting his line sorted out without the need for me to get involved.

I had heard scary stories about the PlusNet Thompson router, but having now been on PlusNet FTTC for the past 3-4 months, it's actually been one of the better routers I've used (and I've a stack of them sat on my shelves in the garage).
I don't use the wireless in anger as I have most of my machines hooked up via wired ethernet, switches in various rooms and wireless repeaters all over the place. The Thompson may not be the fastest, but it's the only router I've had in years that doesn't roll over at the drop of a hat and I have 3 kids who are constantly streaming media all over the house and I work from home (200-300GB a month).

Of course... YMMV but for the support alone, I will always recommend PlusNet.
They day they change their support and I have to use some 'overseas' script follower without a clue will be the day I think about leaving them, but until then, PlusNet all the way...

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 13-Dec-13 14:00:37
Print Post

[re: cookie] [link to this post]

is it possible to tell which profile you are on from the customer end?
If you do the BT wholesale speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run Further Diagnostics it will give an upload profile of either 10 or 20 depending which product you are on.
The download profile depends on the line as well as the product.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User ScottJames
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 14:02:41
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Shinerweb. I really like the idea of actually being able to talk to someone in tech support that knows what they are talking about. I have just seen though that they have appointed a new CEO that was originally from BT. Hope out sourcing doesn't start to happen!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 13-Dec-13 14:07:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ScottJames:
I have just seen though that they have appointed a new CEO that was originally from BT.
Of course he's from BT - he's still with BT. Plusnet is a BT Consumer brand smile

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to