General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PCBasher
(member) Mon 16-Dec-13 20:01:16
Print Post

I-plate on an extension?

[link to this post]

Hiya all.

Im in need of some help.

Currently my router is connected to the main socket. Paying for 40mb and getting it ok. I would like to move the router to another room.

I connect in the lounge at 30mb, so quite a loss on the internal wiring. I have an iplate and another master socket to fit. does anyone have any idea how i connect and what colours to connect? If I cannot fit an iplate to a phone extension does anyone have any solutions to help boost the connection in my lounge. Is there an extension equivilent? Cannot do homeplugs as they do not work very well on my wiring.

All help is appreciated.

Have a good evening.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Rayleigh, Essex
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Dec-13 20:09:43
Print Post

Re: I-plate on an extension?

[re: PCBasher] [link to this post]

If you have FTTC then you have one of these sockets or should do on your master socket

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ and what you want to do is connect an extension to the yellow arrow set of connectors in the picture http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/test-s... and then run a CW1308 (proper telephone cable) or Cat5 cable to where you want the modem, and run this to a socket like this RJ11 socket

The iplate just filters the ring wire and is not designed for use on extension sockets, and you should really only fit one master socket in a property.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PCBasher
(member) Mon 16-Dec-13 20:38:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew for your quick reply.

However I am a little lost.

I do have a new BT socket as shown here; http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/test-s... From this the extensions run off. Using the existing wiring in the house, is there no a faceplate iplate booster that will work? I have the wiring in and the house is brand new and i dont really want to run anymore cables around the house. Can my exention not be adapted to boost the broadband, but at the same time,not lose 25% of my speed?

Cheers Andrew.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Rayleigh, Essex

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Dec-13 21:02:30
Print Post

The telephone extensions will be filtered if it was wired correctly originally, so there will be no VDSL signal to use.

If the extension is on the red arrow connectors, http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/test-s... move it to the yellow arrow ones and then so long as you DO NOT plug in a phone into that extension you will be OK.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Dec-13 21:43:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

He may have a ring wire on T3 Andrew, that would be best removed, and I don't think things would be too bad if he fitted an XTF filtered faceplate at the extension so he can have a phone there?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 16-Dec-13 23:56:19
Print Post

inadequate data - how many extensions exist, how many cores in the cable to each, what's the config (daisy chain, star, etc)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User PCBasher
(member) Tue 17-Dec-13 08:10:15
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi.

The main socket is in the study, from there it goes to the bedroom and then down to the lounge. It is a brand new house, so it is standard wiring and there is wires connected to 2,3 and 5. (i think!) All single core cable, not stranded.

Hope that helps!

I did wonder; although i am not supposed to; connect the extension, to the main line in, but it confuses the hell out of me and also its wrong!

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Rayleigh, Essex
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 11:35:29
Print Post

if it were me I would leave the master socket with a filter and use one pair for filtered voice on 2&5 to the bedroom extension and the other pair for unfiltered VDSL to the lounge, making sure that the unfiltered pair didn't connect in the bedroom and the filtered pair didn't connect in the lounge.

So from the master with filtered connections 2&5 using blue/white pair as far as bedroom and unfiltered connections A/B using orange/white pair which bypasses bedroom socket using jelly crimps and terminates on 2&5 in lounge. Plug in filter used in lounge or faceplate if you have one.

Hope that makes sense.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 16:23:15
Print Post

(Edit - How do you know it goes to the bedroom first then the lounge? Not the lounge then the bedroom, and not both direct? The answer to that may answer my questions in this post without you disassembling the master)

Your link doesn't work. Is it the same as the second link in Andrew's post, so when assembled looks like the one on this page?

If it is, if you carefully disassemble it as described here by him, what wires are attached where the red arrow points to? One in each of T2, T3 and T5, or two in each?

Importantly - what colours are the wires?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Dec-13 16:36:34)

Standard User TheManStan
(member) Wed 18-Dec-13 10:05:21
Print Post

Why the need to move to another room?

It will be more time consuming and complex to move the router given the loss of speed, than to use an alternative technology to provide access in your lounge.

e.g. powerline combined with wifi extension
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to