General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snoopgroggygrog
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-13 10:35:08
Print Post

FTTC - improves non fibre broadband?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm currently about a mile or so from the exchange, and so my speed is about 4 / 5 mb (as to be expected). With FTTC arriving where I live next year, will this improve my non-fibre speed (without changing to a fibre package)? I'm making the assumption here that as the cabinet receives fibre, my effective distance will be of that to the cabinet, not the exchange... or is that wrong?

Thanks - this might be a stupid question... bear with me if it is!
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 18-Dec-13 10:41:10
Print Post

Re: FTTC - improves non fibre broadband?

[re: snoopgroggygrog] [link to this post]

Your existing connection will still go back to the equipment in the exchange building, not the cabinet, so your connection wont change unless you move to a FTTC based service.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Dec-13 11:12:28
Print Post

As Ribble says your line will not change and will still be terminated at the exchange.

However, as ADSL users are removed from the cable bundles your line is in, cross talk from those will decrease which could result in a slight improvement in speed. Conversely any VDSL (fibre) users in the cable bundle from cabinet to pole could increase the noise level and reduce the speeds you see. oVerall you will be in the same ballpark but a small variation up or down may occur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Dec-13 12:08:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by snoopgroggygrog:
I'm making the assumption here that as the cabinet receives fibre, my effective distance will be of that to the cabinet, not the exchange... or is that wrong?

That is exactly why your speeds will increase if and only if you upgrade to FTTC (and the use of VDSL rather than ADSL).

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
  Print Thread

Jump to