General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisnr
(newbie) Mon 23-Dec-13 13:22:26
Print Post

FTTC - only offered Fibre1, why?

[link to this post]

I am on Cabinet 4 on Buckden (EM). It was activated in December and I have upgraded my broadband. I wanted Fibre 2 but was only offered Fibre 1. I think I am about 500 M from the cabinet and initially the engineer reported a 30 MBs connection, but during the ten day period it dropped to 25Mbs from which I assume there is crosstalk on my D side.

I believe that the 78Mbs product is available as the installation engineer quoted speeds he had achieved at another property at 60Mbs.

When I ordered the service my ISP Zen told me that Fibre 2 was not available for my phone number. I checked on various ISPs websites and they all state that only 38Mbs FTTC is available for my phone line.

What criteria do Openreach's systems use when deciding whether to offer the faster product ?

I want to understand why, if Fibre 2 is available at my cabinet, why I am not being allowed to purchase it?

Any ideas people?

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Dec-13 13:30:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC - only offered Fibre1, why?

[re: chrisnr] [link to this post]

Fibre 2 ( the up to 76 Mbps Zen product) will only be of benefit if YOUR line is already connecting at 40 Mbps.

Fibre 2 does not offer double the speed for all lines, but only for those lines that are close to the cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Dec-13 13:31:48
Print Post

What is your estimate on the BT Wholesale checker? How far away is the "other property"? at 500m it would be borderline, some may get over 40Mbps at this distance, some may not. If your line is not capable of over 40, there is no advantage in paying for an 80/20 service.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrisnr
(newbie) Mon 23-Dec-13 13:49:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hang on, if I was connected at 40Mbs I would already be on the 78Mbs product?

When I ordered Zen told me that both Fibre 1 and Fibre 2 showed the same speed at 25Mbs. I understand that at a certain distance from the cabinet the 78Mbs curve will intersect the 38Mbs service, but since all websites now seem only to display the 78Mbs graph, I cannot extrapolate my speed. I "think" I am about 500 Metres from the cabinet and if so I should be able to get 50Mbs on the 78 service. The BT Wholsale checker says 33Mbs non impacted and 26Mbs impacted for my line. So I cannot see why I am not offered the higher speed service.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Dec-13 13:53:25
Print Post

The BT Wholesale checker says 33Mbs non impacted and 26Mbs impacted for my line. So I cannot see why I am not offered the higher speed service.
If the maximum speed that you can achieve is 33Mbps there is no point whatsoever in offering you the higher speed service since you would see zero benefit.
Standard User chrisnr
(newbie) Mon 23-Dec-13 13:57:10
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The other property may be around 300 Metres from the cab.

My estimate from BT Wholesale is 33clean, and 26 impacted. I am currently connected at 26.5Mbs. I rationalised the cabling so I just have a single master socket connected directly to the drop wire from the pole. I am presently using an ADSL Nations front plate. Would there be any benefit in using the replacement interstitial plate that the engineer left with me. I have the OpenReach FTTC modem that was supplied as I have an Apple AirPort Extreme router. Would there be any benefit in purchasing a dedicated VDSL router, and are there brands like Billion that are known for connecting at higher than average rates?

Chris
Standard User chrisnr
(newbie) Mon 23-Dec-13 14:00:09
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I thought that the maximum speed on the checker would be given twice once for each service, as the distance curves for the 2 services are quite different. Do you know where, or have access to the graph of the 38Mbs versus distance stats.
Standard User chrisnr
(newbie) Mon 23-Dec-13 14:06:09
Print Post

Ah - another thing is if I input my postcode and house number it offers both 78 and 38Mbs services, but not when I add phone number.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Dec-13 14:11:03
Print Post

There is only the one fall off rate for VDSL. The two "services" are identical differing only in that one is capped at 40Mbps and the other at 80Mbps. Lines close to a FTTC cab can achieve up to 110Mbps or so with the maximum speed the user sees determined by the product to which the user subscribed. Having a service with an 80Mbps cap is pointless when the line is only capable of speeds around 30Mbps.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Dec-13 14:16:45
Print Post

And, of course, it is the quality and characteristics of the phone line rather than its address that determines the maximum speed of the connection. smile

Why do you want to pay for a potentially more expensive product when it will do nothing to improve the speed and quality of your phone line? Be grateful that you at least have an FTTC connection. Many others aren't so lucky including many in the cities and everyone who is on an EO line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to