General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Growltiger
(learned) Fri 27-Dec-13 22:14:00
Print Post

Will I be allowed to benefit from fibre (FTTC)?

[link to this post]

I am about 7.5Km cable length from Miserden exchange (01285). My cabinet is about 4.5Km from my house. Looking at the BT superfast website, Miserden is FE, so they intend to upgrade it.

Perhaps they will bring fibre to my cabinet, presumably we can't find this out?

Even if they do, reading your summary it seems that the chart only shows distances up to 1.5Km from the cabinet, giving 15Mbps.

My question is simply whether I will be allowed to buy the service, since I assume that at my distance I might manage to get say 2Mbps? That would be high speed for me, since I get only 0.5 or 0.75, and I would happily pay however much it is. Or will they refuse to let me?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Dec-13 22:21:10
Print Post

Re: Will I be allowed to benefit from fibre (FTTC)?

[re: Growltiger] [link to this post]

At 4.5km from your cabinet fibre is unlikely even to match ADSLx I'm afraid. If you aren't on an LLU phone line then this checker might tell you something.

What's "FE"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Dec-13 22:21:43)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Dec-13 22:25:10
Print Post

If the estimate is that you can get something out of FTTC then you will be able to order it, but note that VDSL2 degrades faster than ADSL2+ over long distances.

If you are unlucky but still lucky enough to be served by a cabinet that has FTTC then you will be able to order FTTPoD if and when that is available, but note that it is expensive.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Growltiger
(learned) Fri 27-Dec-13 22:35:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That checker tells me what I already know - that 1Mb is the limit I can expect, which is optimistic for my house.

FE=Future exchanges - With dates to be confirmed nearer the time. (i.e. they intend to do it.)
There is a list of different status codes for each exchange on the BT website here (put in a postcode):
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/

So how will people in places like me ever get even a basic 2Mb service?
(Most people here can't even get a 3G service (hills).)
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Dec-13 23:23:25
Print Post

Have you looked into satellite broadband?

Try tooway there are others but can't think of them at the moment.

Edit:Corrected URL link

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 28-Dec-13 11:18:30)

Standard User mikejp
(learned) Sat 28-Dec-13 08:32:39
Print Post

Growl - don't forget that if they 'stick to the promise' of the government (ho ho...) your local authority will be paying BT to give you at least 2mb - somehow, so I would NOT recommend looking at alternatives just yet.. You could try looking at the LA website to see.

Actually, .5mb is pretty good at your line length - many have just dial-up at that distance. Also do NOT trust the BT line checker and its 'promised speeds'.
Standard User Growltiger
(learned) Sat 28-Dec-13 08:38:41
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikejp:
Growl - don't forget that if they 'stick to the promise' of the government (ho ho...) your local authority will be paying BT to give you at least 2mb - somehow, so I would NOT recommend looking at alternatives just yet.. You could try looking at the LA website to see.

Actually, .5mb is pretty good at your line length - many have just dial-up at that distance. Also do NOT trust the BT line checker and its 'promised speeds'.

I'm not sure there is even a promise to give 2Mb to every house is there?

I had to pay BT £1700 a few years ago to buy a new cable which I dug in myself in my garden to run to the house, to get my 0.75 or 0.5Mb.
Standard User mikejp
(regular) Sat 28-Dec-13 09:03:44
Print Post

As far as I know the political statement remains

"BDUK is responsible for managing the rural programme, whereas local authorities and the devolved administrations are responsible for individual projects, as set out in BDUK’s delivery model. Our ambition is to provide superfast broadband to at least 90% of premises in the UK and to provide universal access to standard broadband with a speed of at least 2Mbps."

NB 'Ambition' and the statement comes from the government.........................
Standard User Growltiger
(learned) Sat 28-Dec-13 11:14:07
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

We have an ambition does not seem the same to me as We promise.

I expect the result will be a PR statement saying "BDUK is an incredible success story - we achieved a staggering 99% success."

The remaining 1%, which will I expect include me, is actually a lot of people. Far more than the number affected by the recent floods or powercuts for example.

I will wait and see what happens. The project in my area is supposed be finished by the end of 2015. It all depends here on whether they put in additional cabinets in new locations more distant from the exchange. If there is then no prospect of that happening, I will probably go to satellite at £500 a year.
Standard User mikejp
(regular) Sat 28-Dec-13 13:32:37
Print Post

Indeed, as I said. The slide of government policy over broadband has been awful - we have gone from 24mb+ to 90% to "well, at least 15mb at peak times" and from a USC of 2mb to an 'ambition'. Perhaps worth remembering come election time?

The win-win for HMG is that people only remember the sound bites from Hunt, Cameron and Vaizey and by the time folk realise it has not happened as they 'thought' it would.........................
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to