General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User akwilliams
(regular) Sat 28-Dec-13 15:30:29
Print Post

Download Speeds - Does this look right?

[link to this post]

Following on from a previous thread, i am now convinced my sync speeds are good.

Could someone take a look at this speed test done here thinkbroadband and see if things are looking the way they should be?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I am still only getting pretty slow download speeds

Many thanks

Edited by akwilliams (Sat 28-Dec-13 15:32:07)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Dec-13 16:21:10
Print Post

Re: Download Speeds - Does this look right?

[re: akwilliams] [link to this post]

Your x6 (multi threaded) download speed is showing a very good speed, so your physical connection speed is very good. As you have 19ms ping you may have a small amount of interleaving (error correction) applied to your connection.

The single threaded speeds can be affected by a multitude of things from operating system to browser choice.

There may be a little bit of congestion somewhere in the network, but I've seen far worse. The graphs should ramp up to maximum speed and then stay nice and straight, yours wavers and drops off a little.

I'm sure someone more technical will be along to explain.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Dec-13 16:38:40
Print Post

Not having a matching single/multithread speed is not ideal. It suggests a problem somewhere. Could be your computer, your router or your ISP. There was a time over a year ago when a misconfigured router at IDNet caused me the same problem. Ideally they should both be the same eg:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13882...

It's reasonable to expect the multithread result to be a bit 'better' but a significant difference is odd. Might not be a fault as such but worthy of further investigation.

Additional note: The above only applies to sources where there are known to be no limits on single thread speed (eg; a speed tester). Real world servers may have a limit on the speed of a single thread in which case if the server allows you to establish multiple connections you will see higher speeds that way.

NB:The peak at the start of my multithreading result is caused by my antivirus.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 28-Dec-13 16:44:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User akwilliams
(regular) Sat 28-Dec-13 17:57:21
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thanks for taking a look.

So far i have tried tests from my mac and pc, both give the same results - about 3-3.5mbps download speeds.

I have also tried a different router - Netgear N600 but have now swapped back to the BT HH5 - both give the same download results.

I have also tried a direct Cat5 connection to the Gigabit ports on the back of the routers to elimnate any possible wiring problems within the house.

Would that suggest that its BT (my ISP) is my next port of call to see whats going on?
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:13:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I am running non-interleaved, but my latency to TTB is still 25ms.
It depends a lot on ISP routing ~ in my case BT's mad internal routing Winchester->Sheffield->London before it leaves the BT network.

I've also always found the TBBx1 test very slow.
Is it really the same as the HTTP tests but single threaded rather than 6 threads?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:26:09
Print Post

I would test with different browsers first, whilst Chrome & Firefox both give very similar results, IE11 gives terrible results, this was actually one of the better ones, but on all the IE11 tests the single thread was always around 22 Mbps.

In reply to a post by akwilliams:
So far i have tried tests from my mac and pc, both give the same results - about 3-3.5mbps download speeds.

Not sure where you are getting that speed from, the TBB speed test shows 21.3Mbps average.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 28-Dec-13 18:29:11)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:51:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by akwilliams:
Would that suggest that its BT (my ISP) is my next port of call to see whats going on?
It sounds like the next logical step. Hard to believe that no-one else has noticed that with BT though. What happens if you download one of the test files?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

If the throughput is poor when you download one at a time, try downloading more than one at once. Also try some other speed testers eg; speedtest.net.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 28-Dec-13 18:52:00)

Print Thread

Jump to