General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HNK5
(newbie) Sat 28-Dec-13 21:45:30
Print Post

Using extension for Fibre

[link to this post]

Im currently on BT broadband but my master socket is far away from my PC and wireless is terrible. Would it be possible to remove BT master socket filter, put on the older one then use an extension socket for my HH5?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Dec-13 22:04:10
Print Post

Re: Using extension for Fibre

[re: HNK5] [link to this post]

Is this for Infinity or ordinary BT Broadband?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User HNK5
(newbie) Sat 28-Dec-13 22:19:26
Print Post

It was for fibre. I can confirm it works. Master socket filter is pretty useless then.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Dec-13 22:27:44
Print Post

You mean you've tried it and it's OK?

As long as your home wiring is fine and was giving good ADSLx performance the Openreach install is probably overkill. By using the extension you are of course using relatively poor extra cable unless you had already installed Cat5/6. So the extra length could matter - VDSL2 degrades with distance more rapidly than ADSLx.

On Infinity you could have had a free "Data Extension Cable" fitted to give high quality cable all the way to the extension site, but that's history.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User HNK5
(newbie) Sat 28-Dec-13 22:46:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah Ive taken it off my master socket. Now im using an extension, which is on the 3rd floor (master socket is on the first floor) and Im getting a consistent 39mb. Much better than my wifi horror story.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Dec-13 22:49:47
Print Post

The rules aren't always right tongue.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Dec-13 23:28:15
Print Post

As you've already proved it will work. The likelihood is that the connection speed will be lower if you are not very close to the cabinet. Do you know what connection speed the hub or openreach modem had before and after the move? Just because you are getting a better speed now doesn't meant that the connection speed of the modem hasn't reduced.

There is about 1dB extra attenuation on my extension socket compared to the master socket. This has no affect on speed for me as the modem still connects at full speed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User HNK5
(newbie) Sat 28-Dec-13 23:56:54
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

It has dropped from 45 to 39 but its consistent which was the biggest issue. Wifi is fluctuates too much especially between floors.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Dec-13 00:15:09
Print Post

Check the wires on the back of the master faceplate. If only T2 and T5 no problem. If there is also one on T3, gently disconnect it. Best not to cut it. Curl it so it doesn't touch any contacts, but don't tuck it behind the test socket.

Print Thread

Jump to