General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jmutton
(newbie) Sun 29-Dec-13 15:40:21
Print Post

TalkTalk Fibre / Draytek 2850n

[link to this post]

Hello there,

I had fibre (FTTC) installed on the 27th of December by a BT openreach engineer. He ended up doing some rewiring in the loft which I'm not too happy about and would like some opinions on.

The cable from the pole goes into our loft and went into a white junction box which connects to a two cord grey cable which connected to the back of our master socket. Plugged into the master socket I had an ADSL nation faceplate which had separate connect for my broadband and one extension for a telephone socket.

What the BT engineer did...
He removed the white junction box and crimped the black cable from the pole onto the grey wire. He then crimped the extension which I was using for my adsl socket onto the end of the grey wire. He then installed the VDSL socket into the bedroom. Which now has the phone and VDSL. In theory this has moved my master socket to another room.

He it annoys me how its now going through two different cables and two crimp points before the connection is even getting to the back of the new master socket?

I'm getting good speeds of 43/13, however its getting disconnected roughly every 5-6 hours. The BT engineer also did not leave me an Openreach modem so I'm unable to test using that with the Talktalk router or my Draytek.

Here are some linestats from the VDSL status page.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30177707/misc/fi...

It also appears that I'm seeing a lot of FEC errors?

If anyone has any suggestions/avice I'd be very grateful!
Thanks.
Jason
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Dec-13 16:14:27
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Fibre / Draytek 2850n

[re: jmutton] [link to this post]

he has to leave you a modem !

ring up and complain !, how else can an isp fault find with non standard equipment

KRO BCFC smile

BQM

Edited by Stanman_24 (Sun 29-Dec-13 16:14:59)

Standard User jmutton
(newbie) Sun 29-Dec-13 16:18:23
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

I rang up this morning and explained that no modem was left, having to now wait for another appointment slot!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Dec-13 17:44:53
Print Post

[re: jmutton] [link to this post]

When the engineer visits on your next appointment I would get them to put the master socket on the end of the cable that comes into the loft, then get a data extension to where you want the modem. Any telephone extensions can be run from the master to wherever they need to go.

This way gives you the best flexibility and if you have any problems you can test from the test socket in the loft knowing there are no other cables/joints to cause problems.

Print Thread

Jump to