General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User darrellr
(member) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:25:48
Print Post

What will FTTP install mean?

[link to this post]

A few months ago a couple of Outreach engineers popped down my (shared) drive with clipboards. I spoke to them and they said they were doing the assessment for the deployment of fibre to the premise. My exchange is currently tagged as Coming Soon so no info is directly available to me.

What I'd like to get a little insight into is what products I'll be able to order if indeed I am provisioned with a FTTP connection in the near future.

I hear about 220/20 and 330/30 being options but can't see them on the BT pages and Sky (my current supplier) don't mention FTTP at all.

One other thing is my current copper wire terminates just inside my front door. I'd much prefer to have the router centrally in my house. How does one extend to the 'modem' with FTTP?

Sky Broadband Connect (BT-provided) customer
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 31-Dec-13 15:11:34
Print Post

Re: What will FTTP install mean?

[re: darrellr] [link to this post]

FTTP modem will provide an Ethernet ouput. Run Cat5e or Cat6 from the modem location to where you want.have your router - EASY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Dec-13 15:48:37
Print Post

You can order the same products which are available on FTTC, so 40/2, 40/10 & 80/20 speed products. You can also order faster products as well.

BT is one of the few which make it easy to find their FTTP products. Plus Net will also sell you FTTP although it's probably easier to contact one of their representatives through the forums such as DaveTomlinson or on Plust Nets own forums.

Others also do FTTP, not sure about Sky though.

There's not much point in chasing around until the BT Wholesale checker shows it's available. For products the same speed as FTTC the prices should be the same.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andygegg
(regular) Tue 31-Dec-13 17:55:55
Print Post

Like RONSKI, I'd caution against too much excitement at this point. Here in Cornwall we're getting superfast broadband rolled out but by golly it's a long process! A new telegraph pole was put in directly outside the house on March 12th, 2013; the fibre was connected on December the 16th and the 'pole wart' a few days later. The pattern has been a little flurry of activity every few months with nothing apparently happening in between. Still, we live in hope!
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13885...

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Tue 31-Dec-13 22:17:41
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
. Plus Net will also sell you FTTP

PlusNet are only doing FTTP on a trial basis which you have to apply for, I am in Cornwall and have been on their FTTP trial since midsummer.

FTTP was run to the small residential estate I live on early last year at the moment with Plusnet it is 80/20 unlimited and the same price while on the trial as FTTC.

Plusnet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User ryant704
(member) Wed 01-Jan-14 11:38:13
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

You are referring to FTTP-On-Demand, PlusNet sell FTTP services.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Jan-14 12:57:15
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

smile
Happy New Year, but [cough], seeing as it's panto time, Oooh no he isnnnn't!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 01-Jan-14 12:58:17)

Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 01-Jan-14 13:31:36
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
You are referring to FTTP-On-Demand, PlusNet sell FTTP services.

I can assure you I know what my connection is and that is FTTP with Plusnet and it is a trial only by application service for existing customers, they do not do a FTTP or FTTPoD package for new customers yet.

Plusnet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Edited by cajef (Wed 01-Jan-14 13:32:22)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jan-14 13:53:23
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

That is exactly why I said the OP would need to contact someone on the forums, I really should have mentioned it was still a trial, I just forgot. PN keep things in trial for ages, but the end result is they will still supply an FTTP connection.

I think they keep them in trial because they don't have the front end systems set up, so it needs someone to handle things manually.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jan-14 15:02:54
Print Post

One other thing is my current copper wire terminates just inside my front door. I'd much prefer to have the router centrally in my house. How does one extend to the 'modem' with FTTP?

The blown fibre tube and customer splice point will almost certainly be very close to the current UG feed for the copper. From here the installer will run a ruggedised fibre to the ONTE (the FTTP modem) this can be inside or out of the property, and the pre made kits come in a variety of lengths up to 30m.

As MHC says from the ONTE it's an ethernet feed to your router, so theres flexibility there as well.

I don't *think* Sky have an FTTP product as yet.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to