General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User markj
(learned) Wed 01-Jan-14 11:51:46
Print Post

BT Fibre Install - Engineer has put faceplate on Extension

[link to this post]

Firstly A Happy New Years to everyone.....

Yesterday morning my father had a fibre install where the Openreach Engineer (Kelly Communications subcontractor) unusually installed the new fibre faceplate on an extension socket rather than the master socket.

The master socket (nte5 faceplate) is located in a bedroom with approx 4 other extensions in other parts of house wired to the consumer side front faceplate. The engineer was asked to install a data extension off the master socket into the next room which is used as a bedroom come office(this wasnt preordered but the engineer was asked) . The rooms are back to back and it would have meant running 10ft of cable and drilling through a single brick wall. If the drilling was a problem my father offered to do it for the engineer. The engineer said he might be able to achieve the same thing using the existing wiring.

So what he did was to install the faceplate on the 1st extension in the next room using the extension wiring that was already in place.

The package was BT Infinity 1 so its 40 down/10 up max. The predicted speed is about 44/10 from BT /Zen website checkers

Yesterday when I called there the Home Hub 5 was connecting at 17 down/1.8 up.

Question
Presumably Im bettter off complaining on his behalf to BT and getting another engineer visit arranged to install the faceplate back on the master socket and running a proper data socket into the next room as 1st engineer was originally asked to do?

But just wondering if the internal extension wiring is approx 10 years old and in good condition would it actually make much of a difference in reality.

I was reading this post which appears to be similar

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4291730-usi...
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jan-14 12:12:53
Print Post

Re: BT Fibre Install - Engineer has put faceplate on Extensi *DELETED*

[re: markj] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User markj
(learned) Wed 01-Jan-14 12:54:55
Print Post

Re: BT Fibre Install - Engineer has put faceplate on Extensi

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

The master socket is behind a bedside cabinet and my mother wasnt too keen on having anything in that room at all. Hence the request to put it next door.....

I didnt realise til yesterday that the BT Home Hub 5 has a VDSL modem built in so the engineer didnt leave the normal fibre modem at all.

Some people seem to having problems with wireless on it as well so moving it back into the bedroom with the master socket may not be the best . My father wanted to use it wired up in the next room

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jan-14 14:08:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by markj:
Presumably I'm better off complaining on his behalf to BT
Only if BT is his ISP; sounds as if Zen might be. He has no truck with BT OR, even if they were subcontracted to do the job.

However, he should have ordered the data extension in advance.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User markj
(learned) Wed 01-Jan-14 14:15:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry I may not have explained that clearly...

BT is the ISP ...I just checked the probable speed on both the BT and Zen speed predictor to see what they said he should get in theory...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-Jan-14 14:17:42
Print Post

It was your mention of Zen in the OP that confused things.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jan-14 14:47:20
Print Post

Wait the required 10 days, then report a speed issue, the Brandenburg test system will pick this up as a bridge tap fault, and they'll arrange a visit from a proper engineer who will sort it out and have the speed reset.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Jan-14 19:32:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

At the time of your post we couldn't be sure BT Retail was the ISP. As we now know it is, then the Data Extension Kit is automatically ordered in case it is required.

However, Kelly's guys not being "angels" on horseback ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Wed 01-Jan-14 20:17:52
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Moderate the language please.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to