General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 01-Jan-14 15:57:26
Print Post

Google+ photo backup

[link to this post]

Has anybody else been tempted to try Google+ photo backup?
What sort of upload speeds are you seeing?

I have good backup with SquirrelSave which consistently manages to max out my 18.5Mbps or so BT Infinity FTTC upload.
Google+ seems unable to keep up consistent speeds at all, the best hour (11 this morning) managing to average 8Mbps, most well below half that.

I'd be interested in anybody else's experience.
Is this a Google problem, a BT one, or something to do with my own setup?

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jan-14 17:29:33
Print Post

Re: Google+ photo backup

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

maybe your isp throttling you on upload?

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Wed 01-Jan-14 17:40:01
Print Post

I have no idea on what the upload speeds i get, but for a service, i don't think google+ can be beaten at the moment. I have uploaded all my photos & videos to is for the past couple of years. I only really use it for a place to store videos & pictures and at present i cannot recommend it enough. It even made a summary of the year 2013 in videos & pics for me. It was quite moving really.

For easy access to photos & pics while you are on the move is fantastic.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3141683986

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Wed 01-Jan-14 19:15:20
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

That may be, thought they claim not to.
They don't for SquirrelSave, so if they are for Google+, where is the difference that BT (the isp) sees?

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 23:26:49
Print Post

[re: Mitchy_mitch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mitchy_mitch:
I have no idea on what the upload speeds i get, but for a service, i don't think google+ can be beaten at the moment. I have uploaded all my photos & videos to is for the past couple of years. I only really use it for a place to store videos & pictures and at present i cannot recommend it enough. It even made a summary of the year 2013 in videos & pics for me. It was quite moving really.

For easy access to photos & pics while you are on the move is fantastic.

Yeah, but it is Google+. surly there must be a better way without signing your life away to google+

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
(experienced) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:52:01
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I was already using Google+ for copying/sharing some albums. I must say I had found it easier to use the online photos when it was Picasaweb, and I don't use Google+ for anything else.

As far as I can see the Google Auto Backup is not saving any folder information, let alone the full directory structure, and the searching is curiously poor as well.

I already have a proper backup at SquirrelSave (highly recommended, very fast, excellent customer service on the rare cases I have needed it, unlimited, reasonably cheap), so I'm giving up on Google Auto Backup and will continue to use Google+ for sharing.

--
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:13:42
Print Post

SquirrelSave? sound like spam to me

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User francisuk25
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-14 20:01:36
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

Thats BT for you! frown

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro, Sync:
DownStream Connection Speed: 57146
UpStream Connection Speed: 19075
Sky Hub SR101
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jan-14 20:37:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I was already using Google+ for copying/sharing some albums. I must say I had found it easier to use the online photos when it was Picasaweb, and I don't use Google+ for anything else.

As far as I can see the Google Auto Backup is not saving any folder information, let alone the full directory structure, and the searching is curiously poor as well.

I already have a proper backup at SquirrelSave (highly recommended, very fast, excellent customer service on the rare cases I have needed it, unlimited, reasonably cheap), so I'm giving up on Google Auto Backup and will continue to use Google+ for sharing.

Picasaweb is still working as far as I know. google will try and force you onto Google+, but you don't need it to use picasa. Like google getting people to link you tube with a google plus page, i did do it once, but then decided against it,

google+ have not done well, so Google is trying all ways to get people to use it.

The only cloud storage system I use is dropbox, i have a couple of documents on it and that makes it easier to edit them on the laptop or desktop, also the drop box softwre works on linux as well as windows, something that Google drive software don't do.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
(experienced) Sat 04-Jan-14 11:17:52
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Picasaweb is sort of working, but if I enter a Picasaweb url it forwards to a plus.google.com one. Upload is pretty much the same as it was before, and still pretty convenient.

I realize that Google are doing all they can to get people into Google+. I use Google's services quite a bit (search, email, docs, Google Drive, photos); I'm sure they know quite a bit about me. I have ignored the Google+ aspect to the various services as much as I can, not so much because I fear the evil of their data collection but because I find it confusing and unnecessary.

I use Dropbox a lot too, but I'm always near my free limit and the first paid jump is quite a high hurdle when I can get much more of almost the same from google (or Microsoft) and would still need a backup account somewhere.

--
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to