General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thommo41
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 10:59:01
Print Post

Exchange done, cabinet not???

[link to this post]

OK, so I live in Burton on Trent, postcode DE13 0SH
Burton had fibre over 12 months ago, I know because I ordered it as soon as it became available at work, a business line, upto 60Mb. It's brilliant.
I live under a mile up the road, and the cabinet at the end of our (BRAND NEW HOUSING!) estate IS NOT ready. Why? Anyone have any idea? Is there anybody I can speak to?
It's available all over the town, just not at my (NEW BUILD!!!) house, on a large residential new build estate. The broadband there is dismal at around 1.5Mb at best.
Grrrr!
TIA, Alan
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 02-Jan-14 11:03:56
Print Post

Re: Exchange done, cabinet not???

[re: thommo41] [link to this post]

Do you know if it's due to be upgraded, or has a new cabinet been stood but it's not been completed?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 02-Jan-14 11:06:32
Print Post

Why not start with the housing developer. They should have made BT aware well in advance and negotiated to ensure service was available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 11:46:04
Print Post

My brother has just moved into a new housing estate and has a similar issue. However, the response from NGA Enquiries email said that they are planning to put FTTP in there and will have more details in the next month or two. I was surprised as there is hardly any FTTP in the area so amazed that this is the plan for this estate - but will mean they should get excellent broadband when it finally arrives.
Standard User Fastman2
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 12:00:26
Print Post

there are anumber of reasons why it was not done -- if the developement is very new - woud not have been seen under the commercial deployment

if the developement is bigger than 60 houses it will get a new copper cab

depends if the developer had any coversation qwith the Fibre team in openreach around installing fibre at the site

FTTP is preferred for new sites as it can be delpoyed as part if the build

also check with your local authority to see if covered uundr stafforshire budk project and in their intervention area -- if not then get the developer to raise with iopenreach
Standard User thommo41
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 12:05:37
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies!
The estate was finished, ie the developer sold the last plot, finished the roads etc, about 3 months ago. The estate itself though has stood with houses on it for at least 5 years, the cabinet as the entrance to the estate IS NOT a new cab, it's the same one that's always been there. I dare say the developer won't know anything about it, and now they've finished, they're not exactly easy to get hold of either. The house count is well in excess of 100 let alone 60, but as I say, it's been built in phases so the cab has been there at least 5 years.
So I should try the council then? God only knows who I'd speak to there! Most of the cabs in a half mile radius have been done, it's very frustrating!
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 02-Jan-14 12:08:18
Print Post

I'd take a bet on it being the councils BDUK program. Best to try that route for information.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jan-14 15:02:50
Print Post

If you care what Openreach ask developers do *now*, you can see their design rules and their developer's guide.

That guide covers a lot of the new requirements for ducting for FTTP, but they've only been in place for the last year or two (and even a year ago, they weren't as comprehensive as they are now). You can bet that a site plan from 5 years ago would only incorporate the requirements for a copper network.

Given the amount of time, you are likely to have been hit by one of two problems in the commercial rollout: 1) That BT's planners didn't include your cabinet because, at the time of their plans, it didn't have enough properties to qualify for the commercial rollout, or 2) That ongoing development of the site means the roads have not been adopted, but BT needs access to perform roadworks. As adoption can be a convoluted process between developer and council, the developer is likely to refuse requests for the roadworks until adoption has completed.

The former is best dealt with by raising the issue with your council's BDUK section. The latter is best dealt with by persuading the developer - but you might find you have no leverage there now they've sold the last plot... they will just want to get adoption finished with as little outlay as they can get away with - but it can be years!

Your best point of contact might be through this contact page
Standard User Fastman2
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 15:06:01
Print Post

assume that cab was buil as part of developement -- cab iat entranve s typical of developer whan havd no fibre discussion with oopenrewach and has new cab stod as BAU (they alwasy get put at beginning of a new developement in that situaion)

you might find that cab only serveces that development
  Print Thread

Jump to