General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 14:41:35
Print Post

How Has Crosstalk Affected You?

[link to this post]

Given Openreach are hopefully, at some point rolling out vectoring I thought it'd be interesting to see how people are being affected by crosstalk.

Also might help give some indication of the kind of loss people who aren't hitting full rate can expect. I can imagine BDUK enabling a fair amount of longer lines.

Here's Mine:

Only one on cabinet.

150+ lines down.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:15:23
Print Post

Re: How Has Crosstalk Affected You?

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I have had FTTC for nearly three years and have had no noticeable effect from crosstalk. Apart from the almost inevitable drop in the first few days (for those not very near to a cabinet), my speed has been constant with a sync of just under 70/20 for the whole time, other than a brief period when there was a fault. I have no evidence of what the FTTC take-up has been in the area; I know I was one of the early ones, but I am in a village that previously could only get poor ADSL speeds due to the distance from the exchange in the nearby town. I am roughly 450m from the cabinet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 03-Jan-14 15:20:29)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:23:26
Print Post

I will keep it short and sweet to avoid a rant.

2 weeks after I signed up when I unlocked my modem I had 110 max down and 36 max up. (dont know if it was higher before that).
3 weeks after signup I had max 90 down and 36 up.
4 weeks after signup I had max 73 down and approx 29 up.

Since then it has slowly been going down but no more large jumps.
Currently at 66 down and 27 up. I have lost around 40% of the downstream signal, as far as I am aware I was the first on my cabinet.

Currently I sync 6mbit below my new estimate which ironically is higher than my original estimate.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 03-Jan-14 15:25:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:31:49
Print Post

My home is approximately 800m line length from the cabinet; physically 200m from the cabinet but the duct goes along an adjacent road before going into my road and all the way back to my house; so I am the second-to-last house connected. I guess this means I will suffer more from crosstalk than anyone else in the road.

My sync started-off at around 50Mbps, in the past six months it slowly reduced down to 34Mbps. I am hoping that vectoring will increase it to at least 40Mbps.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:50:14
Print Post

Distance from cab - 320 metres according to Google Earth.

My initial connection in May 2012 was 79999 down, 20000 up with attainables of 92000 and 36000.

I don't have access to my modem any longer but I'm seeing throughput of 67/18.5.

The recent firmware upgrade gave me a 10% boost on downstream and allowed for the removal of interleaving.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 03-Jan-14 15:54:29)

Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 03-Jan-14 15:58:28
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

FYI, you can get your line's current IP profile (approx. 97% of sync) from this site:

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=B...

It's quicker and easier than using a BT Wholesale speedtest, and you can check it remotely.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-14 16:16:46
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DougM:
FYI, you can get your line's current IP profile (approx. 97% of sync) from this site:

It's quicker and easier than using a BT Wholesale speedtest, and you can check it remotely.
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 68.7 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 16:19:55
Print Post

That doesn't work for me, and I don't think it has for some time:

Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.
Debug: BT no BRAS info

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Fri 03-Jan-14 16:23:18
Print Post

Does anyone know if any information about the vectoring trials have been released? I thought they had finished.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 03-Jan-14 16:27:09
Print Post

it just runs the BT Wholesale speedtest, which can be run remotely anyway smile

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to