General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Fri 03-Jan-14 17:24:19
Print Post

Huawei fttc modem firmware

[link to this post]

Does anybody know when I can download the latest firmware that BT are rolling out for the FTTC modems?

I put the hacked firmware on mine ages ago so doubt it will have updated.

Or maybe there is a new hacked firmware?

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 18:56:40
Print Post

Re: Huawei fttc modem firmware

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

The original hacked firmware will update unless you have disabled the BT Agent. Easiest way to tell if it's updated is to try and log into the web user interface, if you can't then it's been updated.

There have been some modified versions of the new firmware for some time, take a look at this thread on kitz.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.0

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 04-Jan-14 11:26:05
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

I have found, and I think many others have seen the same, that when the hacked firmware was updated the http access to the modem was lost, but the telnet access remained (with slightly modified details). Still able to run the modified stats collection, for example.

I (and again others) have seen significant speed increases with the updated firmware; either there was a big coincidence or it helped several of us to lose interleaving.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 04-Jan-14 15:16:32
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I am using howlingwolf's firmware. The one where the gui is readded and btagent removed.

Its working ok but is a bug in the gui not present in the older firmware where the dsl uptime is always reported as 0. Otherwise the gui seems to function the same as the older firmware so the firmware is fine it will give you the new blob driver etc.

I am still considering going back to asbo's 2nd firmware tho as that has a lower error rate on my line with equal sync speeds.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jan-14 16:15:20
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

no point me flashing as I have 79/20 sync lol

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 05-Jan-14 03:20:27
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

the custom firmwares are not designed to change sync speeds. So sync speed is irrelevant.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 09:16:11
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
the custom firmwares are not designed to change sync speeds. So sync speed is irrelevant.

If there were extra options in the firmware to allow you to change sync speeds (or at least target snr levels and interleaving) then sync speed might be even more relevant.

As it is they are not designed to change sync speeds. But there is strong evidence that different firmwares do do something to the way syncing happens (I'm not sure what) that means you achieve different sync speeds (and different interleaving) with different firmwares. The main reason (at least for me) for special firmware is monitoring, and the main reason for monitoring is to make sure you are getting the best tradeoff (for you) of reliable connection, fast sync and low latency. So sync speed isn't irrelevant.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jan-14 09:25:24
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I think what Crysalis was getting at is the custom firmwares are designed to unlock, add functionality by putting back the GUI and remove the BT Agent depending on which version you use.

The updated firmware from BT has the affect of altering the sync speed by improving the connection. This side of things has not been altered in the custom firmware. The custom firmwares use the original driver blob, and the latest driver blob, there was one other which was released which used a different driver blob I believe.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 05-Jan-14 10:04:02
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

True, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 10:25:44
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I suppose the later firmware is only relevant if you are not getting the max throughput from your connection

I noticed on the monitoring that it shows the interleaving depth the same way as any other broadcom chipset (D)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to