General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fromagedefrance
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-14 10:17:36
Print Post

Local Cabinet

[link to this post]

I've used the online checker to discover that 100% I'm connected to cabinet P6. However, my nearest cabinet has a label 6/1 and appears to be the 'old style' cabinet. There is a newer fibre type cabinet about 300 metres further away than the old cabinet, but this has no label? Is it likely that these two cabinets are linked? and if so would they be linked by fibre? I'm trying to work out my distance from the fibre cabinet! Any help appreciated.
Standard User GorillaWheels
(regular) Sun 05-Jan-14 10:37:27
Print Post

Re: Local Cabinet

[re: fromagedefrance] [link to this post]

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
This should give fibre speed estimates if your cabinet 6 is fibre enabled.
What were your results?
Fibre twin cabinets are normally within 5 or so metres from the existing PCP, so 300 metres i'd very much doubt it is a twin for cabinet 6.

EE ADSL2+ 6 Mbps down / 0.92 Mbps up
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-14 10:50:36
Print Post

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 17.4 11.3 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 13.9 5.3 1.1 0.5 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

The above are results from my address checker and relate to cabinet 6. I'm assuming the fibre would be provided from the new cabinet, rather than cabinet 6/1? Anyway I hope to get at least 11mb download rather than the current 2.5mb using ADSL.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 11:00:55
Print Post

Sounds like you are connected to a secondary cabinet which goes back to cabinet 6. Your distance for fibre purposes is back to the cabinet near the new fibre cabinet. The connection between 6/1 and 6 will be copper.
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-14 11:05:52
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. Anyway, at least my overall speeds will hopefully increase by a minimum of x4 over ADSL. Thanks again.
Standard User GorillaWheels
(regular) Sun 05-Jan-14 12:04:25
Print Post

Very often the fibre cabinets don't have stickers or numbers, the multiple vents on the front doors give them away and a fan noise if you get up close and personal, tells you they are active. Yes fibre comes from the new cabinet connected to your existing cab.
Your cabinet 6 but be a long way from your exchange for those figures and you must be some distance from cab 6 and fibre twin for your fibre estimate? Normally fibre twins are close to PCP's but maybe there was a technical reason why they couldn't get it close by.
Like you said though 11 is much better than 2.5.

I'm about 700 metres from by PCP, it's fibre twin is about 5 metres away, my estimates are clean down high 30.9 low 22.2, up high 7.3 low 5.6, impacted down high 24.4 low 12.6, up high 6.6, low 3.6

EE ADSL2+ 6.5 Mbps down / 0.92 Mbps up
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-14 13:29:53
Print Post

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

Thanks gorilla wheels.........I've measured that I'm 950 metres from the new fibre cabinet, so I'm surprised the possible speed is only about 11 mbs? However, the BT lines to my property from the cabinet are all overground, so perhaps this impacts on the quality.
  Print Thread

Jump to