General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jan-14 11:01:29
Print Post

Is it coming?!

[link to this post]

I'm on the WNPBK exchange in North Wales.

I have just seen a big reel of what I think is fiber cabling? Its black with at least 2 yellow stripes on it.

There is also the following on roadworks.org:

Haydock Close, Leeswood, Flintshire
Works Start: 13 Jan
End: 21 Jan
Low impact, delays unlikely
Location : (PCP6) OPPOSITE SIDE OF 1 LLWYN GOODWOOD CROSSING CARRIAGE WAY TO SIDE OF 1 ON HAYDOCK CLOSE PONTYBODKIN, FLINTSHIRE CH7
Description : Install 3m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Install 5m of 1 way poly duct in Carriageway,Install 9m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Provide 1 Provide/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)
Current status: Planned work about to start
Traffic lights, etc: Traffic control (give & take)

That is for a cab up the road from me. I am connected to the first cab from the exchange witch is at the other side of the village but there is a tone of room on the path so I don't imagine they would need traffic control and thus not listed on roadworks.org?

I am I getting excited over nothing?? I sure hope not!

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24272 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 0.3 dB 11.8 dB
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 11:16:56
Print Post

Re: Is it coming?!

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

You have certainly seen some work commencing, though its the tubing you have seen and not the fibre itself. No matter, things are happening.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jan-14 11:47:13
Print Post

If that isn't your cab then it won't affect you. You need to go and see if anything is happening on yours.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jan-14 11:48:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah, I shall be keeping an eye out.

I would imagine mine is getting done as mine is the first after the exchange! The one listed on roadworks.org is up the road and is the 2nd cab after the exchange.

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:19:33
Print Post

Just been to check the 2 cabs that show on roadworks.org and there is paint on the path with DSLAM written.

But nothing for my cab at all witch is odd since my cab serves most of the village vs the other 2 that serve much less

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jan-14 18:37:19
Print Post

time to get out the paint. smile

IanD
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-14 18:41:37
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Don't tempt me! tongue

Once I see those men at work... but not at work on my cab, Ill go poke em with a stick and find out what they know xD

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Standard User KelvinBridge
(learned) Thu 09-Jan-14 19:11:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seansmit17:
Don't tempt me! tongue

Once I see those men at work... but not at work on my cab, Ill go poke em with a stick and find out what they know xD

If the men are dressed in Black and ask you to look-into a ''Flashy thing'' then you'll forget every thing you've posted about ''Fibre ''

Pontybodkin Exchange

Samknows >FTTC status:
Calendar Year 2014
Standard User Galoka
(newbie) Thu 09-Jan-14 19:27:11
Print Post

IME from the renct install in our village, the work can be sread out over quite apriod of time, and doesn't happen in what seems from the outside the logical way. Though no doubt it makes sense if you are plannign the work. Not all cabs might need the same work.

Eg, I'm on Cabinet 1 in the middle of the village, there was quite a bit of activity on the outskirts putting in the black tubing/cable like you describe, but I don't remember that I ever saw them do anything like that for my cabinet (which is over the road and round the corner. Maybe the exsiting ducting was sufficient for their purposes.

The obvious work done near my cabinet was installing the FTTC cabinet about 30M away (yonks before anything else happened). doing something by the main cabinet, and then shortly before it all went live digging up the road/pavement between them to connected them together.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 09-Jan-14 21:11:39
Print Post

Sean
There appears to be lots of work planned around you to complete by March 2014, on the Superfast Wales site it shows Pontybodkin, Caergwrle, Mold West and Northop due by Mar 2014.

Once they get started in an area they seem to do a lot quite quickly. Have a look at the exchanges down the coast from Bangor to Aberdovey to see what has been done in the last 6 months.

There is of course the potential for delays at this time of year due to the Weather but your terrain doesn't look too liable to flood! Just hope it doesn't snow a lot!

I would expect from the other Welsh BDUK work that all the cabs for the exchange will be done and they may even provide a new one for the Exchange only customers.

The Cab you identify will need the roadworks to get to the new cab or to get power to the new cab if it is going to be placed in the grass reservation along side the old.

If there is a space and a power source close to your cab they won't need roadworks, this is one reason the planning takes so long as they have to consider these factors for every cab.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to