General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 08:32:02
Print Post

Samknows Whitebox usage

[link to this post]

Due to a configuration issue with my mail server I've had to reassess what is using my internet connection. My mail was the biggest problem (redirecting spam to no-one, instead of rejecting it at the RCPT command) but it also turns out that my Samknows whitebox was download 2GB a day! It seems to have changed around September. At least something did when my typical usage jumped from 10GB a month to 60GB a month. And for sure disconnecting the box has dropped me from 2.5GB a day to 0.3GB yesterday.

Suffice to say I'm now out of that programme :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 10-Jan-14 10:06:13)

Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 08:45:36
Print Post

Re: Samknows Whitebox usage

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Just looked at ours (we never look at it lol) and your right. 61.5GB just on the Samknows box last month. However it seems it changed for us a few months ago. SNMP traffic from our Cisco interface.

http://tinypic.com/r/2s8gtut/5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StructuredCommunications Bonded FTTC 74.5Mbps Download & 22.4Mbps Upload.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 10:05:19
Print Post

[re: Adam3k] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adam3k:
Just looked at ours (we never look at it lol) and your right. 61.5GB just on the Samknows box last month. However it seems it changed for us a few months ago. SNMP traffic from our Cisco interface.

http://tinypic.com/r/2s8gtut/5
The phrase OMFG springs to mind. A couple of GB A month is fair enough just to have a record of testing and to 'do our bit' to help map the state of UK ISPs but 60GB is half my allowance!

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 10:31:58
Print Post

Even on an unlimited connection that seems like excessive usage - especially as they haven't sent anything out to say that the change was happening. I find the stats to be good but if it is using that much data I am not convinced it is for the "general good" anymore as it is just adding to the load on providers.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jan-14 11:22:05
Print Post

Hmmm - worrying. I don't have a way to tell how much data is being used by the box, so I'm not sure how mine has changed.

Samknows says this:
NOTE: The Whiteboxes download approximately 3GB per month and upload around 1GB if you’re on a sub-50Mbps product. For products faster than 50Mbps the usage volume is higher and varies by product speed. If you’re on a product with a low usage cap then we’d advise against signing up, or at least informing us beforehand so that we can apply a different testing profile.

I'm sure that's a change from when I signed up, when it was a flat 2GB per month.

Has anyone asked Samknows what the amount should be for these higher speeds?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jan-14 11:27:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Even on an unlimited connection that seems like excessive usage - especially as they haven't sent anything out to say that the change was happening. I find the stats to be good but if it is using that much data I am not convinced it is for the "general good" anymore as it is just adding to the load on providers.

I just looked, and it seems that Samknows did indeed send out an email update, which says the following:
We are writing to inform you of a change to our testing that will enable us to more accurately capture the speed of your connection starting from November 1st.

The reason we're letting you know is because the improved tests will consume more data. For users with a connection speed of 30 to 50 Mbps, the tests will use up to 5GB per month. For users with a connection speed of over 50 Mbps, the tests will use from 25GB per month, depending on line speed.

This won't affect you if you have an unlimited data plan. If you're unsure about your data allowance, please contact your ISP. Remember, SamKnows Reporting works best when users remain anonymous to ISPs, so please don't mention the Whitebox when speaking to your ISP.
Standard User PeterProxy
(newbie) Fri 10-Jan-14 11:44:39
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I unplugged my box a few months ago. Cellpipe + Router + Samknows Box was just too much clutter!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 11:51:45
Print Post

Hmm, could just be my bad memory then, maybe I got the email and deleted it as I am unlimited and therefore not affected. But, 5GB is a lot different to 60GB if that is indeed what it is now churning through - I've got nothing setup to allow me to check.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 15:34:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I just looked, and it seems that Samknows did indeed send out an email update, which says the following:
I don't have any recollection of that but perhaps I just saw Samknows and hit delete :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 10-Jan-14 15:49:56
Print Post

I had no recollection either but I regularly delete the monthly "scorecard" emails as I have the Android App installed on my smartphone when I am concerned about performance.

Strange how the Samknows tests always give upstream and downstream speeds pretty much at full speed. Not complaining!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to