General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 07-Feb-14 20:51:24
Print Post

Re: FTTP 330/30

[re: MartinS] [link to this post]

You could always be sneaky and buy a Homehub 5.

Looks like it could give you a surprising speed form other comments, ask on here for someone to hack it or get your own experts to, that would give you access to all the features . Or even ask the manufacturer to supply unlocked versions to you.

Likely to be the cheapest high speed device if you can get them unlocked.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Feb-14 21:04:09
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

There's a good chance the Homehub 4 would also be ok, and that IS available unlocked

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Feb-14 20:12:11
Print Post

For what it's worth the TL-WDR4300 is listed as doing 935Mb/s PPPoE.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fttp
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:29:33
Print Post

Back on 15 Jan I posted my experience of using 330/30 where I mentioned I'd found the Asus RT-N66U couldn't handle the speeds but was monitoring developments in the firmware.

Since then I installed version 3.0.0.4.374.38_2-em of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware which has enabled (re-enabled?) Hardware Acceleration and the router has now successfully been running at over 300Mbps, and the SamKnows white box monitoring shows it's consistent (compared to other routers I've tested).

I've now upgraded to the 374.39_0-em version of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and the speeds are still as high.

So after over 12 months of trying the Asus RT-N66U on and off it's now finally working to maximise the 330Mpbs speeds and I'm going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

But my original comment was about the 330/30 experience, as was asked for in the opening post. And my experience over the past 20 months has been that not all gigabit routers can handle it, and that firmware updates possibly haven't been tested for the faster internet speeds because the developers and most of the wider community don't have these speeds.

[Edited to correct date to 15 Jan from 14 Jan - thanks BatBoy for correction]

Edited by fttp (Mon 10-Feb-14 22:09:26)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:31:18
Print Post

[re: fttp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fttp:
So after over 12 months of trying the Asus N66-U on and off it's now finally working to maximise the 330Mpbs speeds and I'm going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

Great news, thanks for the update smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by fttp:
Back on 14 Jan I posted my experience of using 330/30
That was on 15 Jan actually.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 19:40:05
Print Post

I fitted a native FTTP today, 330/30 from BT retail. Hub 5 on the end of it, it's the first 330 one I have had a chance to play with, got 312Mbps on the Thinkbroadband tester hard wired using a Panasonic CFC1. It actually showed a full 30Mbps upstream too, very nice !

The interesting bit, for me, was that I usually use www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk as a cheap and dirty speed test, and for the 2nd time, a 330 line has only shown 15/16 meg on the download, but 30 upload. The test seems fine on an 80/20 FTTC ...... I wonder, could you try it with yours please and see if it does the same for you ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:55:23
Print Post

Using Merlin firmware but on a mere 25Mbps fttc

Needed the extra config options to get my voip phone working

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:57:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

We have 10Gig direct to our speed server and have run it at over 1Gig to a single machine (in data centre)

Plus control of network so if people moan we can see where issue was

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:05:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well it seems just fine and dandy ! smile
Was hoping the OP could try that (cough) other site and see if he saw the same issue ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to