General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:45:27
Print Post

Re: FTTP 330/30

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Additionally, some people have signature display turned off (though I've no idea of the proportion).

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:46:13
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Well, I am one of them wink
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:48:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

And I'm not, so the sampling suggests 50/50 so far smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-14 09:15:57
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have signatures turned on as well. As the ISP tag is visible in the posts then as a courtesy I think that the ISP name should be included in the signature so that those who have them turned on can see it, rather than having to go to the profile to check (which may also not have the info). It does appear that others do not agree so let's leave it to the OP to decide what he should do about his signature and leave it like that.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:06:58
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Yes, PN reps usually act reactively with things like 'We'll look into it'. The OP was proactive and out-the-blue. Not everyone thinks to check the poster's profile when reading a fresh post from a 'stranger'.

As a courtesy the OP might have declared his interest within the OP rather than relying on his tag.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User fttp
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 14:37:15
Print Post

[re: MartinS] [link to this post]

I've had 330/30 FTTP for 20 months, and before that 100/15, as a trial with PlusNet. We have unlimited usage, which is necessary if it's being used by a family.

I'm paying the equivalent price of a FTTC product but when the trial finishes and PlusNet has decided what to charge or what product to move us trialists onto the days of 330/30 speeds will be over!

I see 330/30 as being similar to FTTC/FTTP products running at speeds of 80 or 100Mbps as they're fast enough for multiple household users to be using the internet intensively without anyone complaining of performance issues. Is 330 really necessary, I ask myself.

In real life usage all our devices are connected wirelessly or via Homeplugs and are 'only' getting speeds of 20Mbps or so down and up. We can simultaneously download 'box sets' or HD movies from Sky, use the BBC iplayer and browse the net without thinking about it. But again I presume that would be possible at 80Mbps.

I've seen that some routers can't handle the speed. Monitoring them via a SamKnows white box I've seen three gigabit routers give very varying average download speeds. I've tried 4 gigabyte routers, three provided by PlusNet. Currently I'm using a ZyXEL VMG8924 but have an Asus RT-N66U which can't handle the speeds but am monitoring developments in the firmware which may enable it.

In summary I doubt I'd notice if I went back onto 100 or even 80Mbps, and if I did it may be a good thing as I'd stop fretting over whether the router was taking advantage of the line speeds! Also I wouldn't pay extra over FTTC prices to keep 330/30 (even if PlusNet were to offer it).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 14:41:54
Print Post

[re: fttp] [link to this post]

To be clear the issue with the throughput on devices is not that they cannot handle the throughput, but they often have trouble doing that volume of traffic when using PPPoE. In pure WAN to LAN Ethernet modes more hardware can cope with these speeds.

In the RT-N66U case it would be interesting to know if the Tomato or DD-WRT variants fared betted.

But the lesson that presence of a Gigabit Ethernet switch and WAN port do NOT equal guarantee of 1 Gbps of throughput support when using PPPoE is a salient warning.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheManStan
(member) Wed 15-Jan-14 15:42:13
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Really?

They have 20Gbps of bandwidth for the network, 10Gbps thru a tier 1 with 10Gbps peered.
ISP Representative MartinS
(isp) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:16:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've been finding the same thing with routers. Right now I'm using a Zyxel USG 50 which seems happy coping with the speed, I'm next going to try a Draytek 2860 and a Fortiwifi 30D to give them a try.

I completely agree with the question over if speed >100mb will really be noticed by all but the most hard core users. Working for a service provider means I've got a good deal of transparency over the capacity and utilisation of the links between the hostlinks (Claranet's connections with BT Wholesale and the LINX, and I know there is plenty of capacity there. The BT Wholesale WBC network and the Openreach local network all seem to have lots of spare capacity as well, the result of which is I can consistently get >300mb from this line any time day or night.

Where things slow down is in the networks beyond ours, and how well connected the servers I'm connecting to are. It's still commonplace for most hosting environments (apart from the big sites) to have 100mb or less of bandwidth, and this is why I don't think for most people they'll ever notice the greater speed above 100mb. It'll only be hard core users or offices with lots of users where this kind of bandwidth will be any use.

M.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:23:48
Print Post

[re: MartinS] [link to this post]

I see the Zyxel USG 50 doesn't have the throughput to cope with your line speed.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to