General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Feb-14 07:55:43
Print Post

Re: FTTP 330/30

[re: MartinS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MartinS:
Anyone seen this before?

Odd, I wonder if the 6x test is using up CPU in the router (might not be optimal at PPPoE for the high speeds of FTTP)

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
ISP Representative MartinS
(isp) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:16:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes I think you're right. I've also got a Fortinet 30D to try which is rated to 800Mb on simple traffic, 350mb on IPSec so should be able to handle the throughput of this line. I'm going to get hold of Draytek first to see if they want to do any debugging on this first (although I suspect they'll say that router isn't designed to do 300Mb PPPoE).

M.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:20:35
Print Post

Last time I emailed Draytek, they said their router couldn't cope with any more than 50Mbps over the WAN. Have you considered using a software router like pfSense running on a high spec PC?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative MartinS
(isp) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:31:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Really? For a 2860? Interesting..

The exercise is more to find an 'affordable' easy to manage device that can cope at this speed. pfsense will 100% do it, but it doesn't really fit into the highly repeatable simple device model that an ISP like the one I work for would be interested in. So far, I've only had reliable results from devices costing >£350 (like the fortinet 30d)..
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:33:03
Print Post

Sorry, no - it was an earlier Draytek device.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User AndyHCZ
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 10:44:06
Print Post

Even the Asus RT-N66U has been reported to struggle with FTTP 330/30 - http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9425

Have you tried to telnet to your router and run top when doing the speed test to see what the resource usage is like?
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 06-Feb-14 10:56:17
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Even the Asus RT-N66U has been reported to struggle with FTTP 330/30 - http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9425
Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050 of the Asus firmware (you can find it here under Drivers and Tools) has the comment:
5. Fixed PPPoE throughput issues.
It's probably in the Merlin code too, but can't say what it does as I don't have speeds where it would matter frown

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:10:18
Print Post

Are you sure it is the router and not the PC?

Mr S will be the best to answer it but surely the PC is initiating 6 separate downloads and the router does not really care what the traffic is on the single network connection - it delvers traffic packets ass addressed/translated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bdo21
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:39:57
Print Post

Would this be an option? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11997/index.html

It has only recently been released but is certainly sub £300 (online prices are around £135) and it looks like it has the specs to cope with 330.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:45:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

While they are all HTTP (TCP port 80 based) this will mean six entries in the NAT to handle things. So yes will be a greater load as the router handles the on going routing.

So yes PC is doing six downloads, but router is handling six streams of traffic.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to