General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative MartinS
(isp) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:42:26
Print Post

FTTP 330/30

[link to this post]

Just recently installed FTTP 330/30 into my house, pretty pleased with the 305mb peak speed test although still got a bit of tweaking to do to try and get the full 330mb:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I've not seen anyone else post here about FTTP 330/30 or Infinity 4, curious to know what anyone else's experiences are?

M.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:44:58
Print Post

Re: FTTP 330/30

[re: MartinS] [link to this post]

Who are you? Which isp are you with?

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:47:02
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Link

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(isp) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:51:30
Print Post

As Bill has linked, I'm the product director for Claranet, and just happen to be lucky enough to live in an FTTP enabled area. Testing the first 330mb line Claranet has installed.

M.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:53:03
Print Post

Wish I have that FTTP. Maybe I will move house who can support FTTP.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Tue 14-Jan-14 10:53:50)

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:56:32
Print Post

You'd probably have less stress in your life if you moved to another house that didn't have broadband tongue

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:00:39
Print Post

Advertising own products as if ordinary user? Rather sneaky?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:00:53
Print Post

Plenty of FTTP available in my area, but please don't move here!
(isp) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:07:29
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Not very sneaky, given I've posted who I am and I've explained this is the first 330/30 line we've installed!
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:07:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Advertising own products as if ordinary user?
Not really (imo) the letters (isp) under the username give a clue.

Bill

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:10:59
Print Post

Yes, after the event and you were challenged ! (IMO).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 14-Jan-14 11:12:11)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:11:14
Print Post

Are you just trying to make the rest of us jealous wink

If you can provide that to me at a reasonable cost without a 3 year contract then I'll sign up to you straight away. Unfortunately, I think I may be wishing for a little too much there. And I suspect you will find it hard to find many other users as my guess is the actual take-up (based on availability and cost) of 330/30 is pretty low.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:16:11
Print Post

I see no problem, they have the ISP tag and its on their profile. If they were singing praises about price etc and linking to sales pages then yes would have a problem.

FTTP is still rare enough that even ISP staff who get it get excited about it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(isp) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:18:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Infinity 4 from BT Retail is £50 a month (plus line rental tax) with an 18 month contract, which is pretty reasonable? This all obviously assumes you're in a FTTP enabled area...
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:20:23
Print Post

And that's the rub. FTTP footprint is relatively low. FTTPoD is coming but will be relatively expensive and long term contracts. Most people aren't lucky enough to have straight FTTP. In my own county there are very few (although sounds like my brother's new house will be getting it later in the year so might have to camp out there - first time their broadband will have ever been better than mine).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:27:55
Print Post

I see you are suffering with a lag and slow climb on the UPSTREAM of the TBB test ... any ideas why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:49:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I see no problem, they have the ISP tag and its on their profile. If they were singing praises about price etc and linking to sales pages then yes would have a problem.

He made comments about the price, suggesting that it was reasonable.

Michael Chare
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:59:39
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
BT's price, not ClaraNet's.

Bill

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:01:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MartinS:
Just recently installed FTTP 330/30 into my house, pretty pleased with the 305mb peak speed test although still got a bit of tweaking to do to try and get the full 330mb:

I've not seen anyone else post here about FTTP 330/30 or Infinity 4, curious to know what anyone else's experiences are?

M.
I take it you're simply reselling BT Infinity 4 and that implies your prices will be higher than Infinity 4 as I guess you want to make a profit?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:10:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Claranet is NOT reselling Infinity 4, since that is a retail product. What claranet is selling is the BT Wholesale GEA FTTP 330/30 product

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:11:18
Print Post

And that was two minutes after my post too, I cannot see into the future.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:14:25
Print Post

Claranet is NOT reselling Infinity 4, since that is a retail product. What claranet is selling is the BT Wholesale GEA FTTP 330/30 product
Then why the mention of Infinity 4 in his OP?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:19:51
Print Post

Because Infinity 4 is what a lot of people will know the fastest FTTP service as.

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:21:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Then why the mention of Infinity 4 in his OP?
A friendly word of advice- when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Some of the posts in this thread would have been more appropriately made in green frown

Bill

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:22:03
Print Post

I'm sure other ISP's also sell FTTP.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:25:03
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I contacted Clara last time I was looking for an ISP and received NO response frown

I thought they had gone out of business until this spam post turned up.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:26:12
Print Post

Plus the tbb speedtest says which ISP the connection is. I don't see how anyone can object.

Doesn't FTTP via BT Wholesale get IP Profiling?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:27:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, but not the OP. And I'm yet to see a reasonable explanation for Infinity 4 being mentioned in the OP.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:27:58
Print Post

Did Martin say that no-one else did?
Infinity 4 will be the name most have heard of.

Standard User bladesharp
(newbie) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:33:30
Print Post

I see the speed test was done at 06:38 - does Claranet have enough bandwidth on their BT host link to get these speeds during peek times. I'm guessing this is where the restriction is going to be with most ISP's
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:42:47
Print Post

Martin asked if anyone had experience of FTTP 300/30 or Infinity 4. He wasn't saying that he had that product or any other FTTP product, just wondering if their were people with similar products who could give any feedback on the experience. Seems to be a general question - you can read in an ulterior motive if you want but I would want a lot more evidence before assuming anything sinister. People who work for ISPs probably have an interest in broadband and therefore are as free as anyone else to discuss experiences on here.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:46:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
BT's price, not ClaraNet's.

Indeed but he quite possibly has a vested interest in promoting the idea that prices at that level are reasonable.

Michael Chare
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 13:01:41
Print Post

Who knows how much Claranet charge?

Is any hardware provided?

Are there any bandwidth limits?

As adverts go, this is pretty poor.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 13:05:12
Print Post

Do not have to go far to see their pricing really http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/clara/package/1257...

Kinda interesting that if people had just said 'cool speed' and left it at that, that there would be less exposure.

Standard User Galoka
(newbie) Tue 14-Jan-14 13:36:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
As adverts go, this is pretty poor.

Well, that's fine it's not an advert is it . Martin is just interested in other peoples experiences of FTTP.

Though I'd imagine the number of people who have FTTP installed and are readers of the TBB forums are small smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jan-14 13:41:43
Print Post

[re: Galoka] [link to this post]

Well, I don't know what it is. But there are more questions than answers - the curious slope on the upstream graph being a pertinent one.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 14:08:15
Print Post

Only Openreach CEO boss Liv Garfield had 1Gbps downstream and 1Gbps upstream as a 1:1 contention ratio at her home.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 14:10:32
Print Post

Gigabit leased line for the CEO of a massive communications provider is of no surprise.

Fibre at those speeds has been available for years, just that if buying 1:1 contention you end up paying a lot,

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 14:12:56
Print Post

Liv Garfield is a lucky lady but of course I respect her.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 14:19:42
Print Post

This is normal provision by BARN !

Of course each individual equipment is incapable of working at that speed. Most likely why the OP is having difficultly getting to 330Mb
(isp) Tue 14-Jan-14 15:50:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, I noticed that as well. Other tests I've run don't show that so much, so I assumed it was just a quirk of that individual test.
(isp) Tue 14-Jan-14 16:06:01
Print Post

I've had great fun reading the conspiracy theories in this thread! As Ian and a few others have pointed out, neither I nor Claranet have anything to gain from this thread, other than perhaps shared knowledge and experience a rare FTTP service (assuming someone lurking here had it installed) and feeding my interest in UK Broadband as a whole. I didn't mention Claranet in my first post, for that matter I could have been using a competitors FTTP service, the Claranet bit wasn't the point of the post, the FTTP 330 bit was. I only mentioned Infinity 4 because BT Retail are the gorilla in the room with the vast majority of the FTTP lines installed in the UK.

If you look through my previous posts you'll see I've not been here for a while, but a while ago I was a major contributor, and always conducted myself in a very transparent way. I was heavily involved in the Easynet LLU network (now Sky) and the AOL LLU network (now TT), and although I now work for someone who isn't involved in LLU or 'carrier' broadband services, I'm still very interested in it.

M.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 14-Jan-14 16:17:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Only Openreach CEO boss Liv Garfield had 1Gbps downstream and 1Gbps upstream as a 1:1 contention ratio at her home.

It's all making sense now........do I suspect a bit of jealousy, (albeit totally impractical/unneeded in today's current climate), here?
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 14-Jan-14 17:09:12
Print Post

However, as an ISP rep it might help if your signature indicated which ISP you are a rep for.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User Galoka
(newbie) Tue 14-Jan-14 17:15:03
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Though I suspect there would then be people complaiining that each post was a little plug for that ISP. smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Jan-14 17:19:44
Print Post

Yes, I noticed that as well. Other tests I've run don't show that so much, so I assumed it was just a quirk of that individual test.

Do they all show a slow rise though? I get that on one PC on a particular line, different PC on that line is fine and if I use the one PC elsewhere it is also fine. Something odd!..

M H C

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 14-Jan-14 17:31:44
Print Post

That is not how I see it when the PlusNet reps provide help in the PlusNet forum. At least we know that they are qualified to answer questions on behalf of PlusNet. In this case you do not know which ISP is being represented and therefore cannot judge the validity of a post either way.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Jan-14 19:05:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Galoka:
Though I suspect there would then be people complaiining that each post was a little plug for that ISP. smile
It's perfectly normal and accepted practice here smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 15-Jan-14 00:03:34
Print Post

I now work for someone who isn't involved in LLU or 'carrier' broadband services, I'm still very interested in it.

M.
So are you just reselling a BT product?

What hardware are you using?

Are there any bandwidth limits?

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:30:55
Print Post

If you click on Martin's name it will take you to his profile which tells you what job he does and for whom.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:45:27
Print Post

Additionally, some people have signature display turned off (though I've no idea of the proportion).

Bill

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:46:13
Print Post

Well, I am one of them wink
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 08:48:38
Print Post

And I'm not, so the sampling suggests 50/50 so far smile

Bill

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-14 09:15:57
Print Post

I have signatures turned on as well. As the ISP tag is visible in the posts then as a courtesy I think that the ISP name should be included in the signature so that those who have them turned on can see it, rather than having to go to the profile to check (which may also not have the info). It does appear that others do not agree so let's leave it to the OP to decide what he should do about his signature and leave it like that.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:06:58
Print Post

Yes, PN reps usually act reactively with things like 'We'll look into it'. The OP was proactive and out-the-blue. Not everyone thinks to check the poster's profile when reading a fresh post from a 'stranger'.

As a courtesy the OP might have declared his interest within the OP rather than relying on his tag.

Standard User fttp
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 14:37:15
Print Post

I've had 330/30 FTTP for 20 months, and before that 100/15, as a trial with PlusNet. We have unlimited usage, which is necessary if it's being used by a family.

I'm paying the equivalent price of a FTTC product but when the trial finishes and PlusNet has decided what to charge or what product to move us trialists onto the days of 330/30 speeds will be over!

I see 330/30 as being similar to FTTC/FTTP products running at speeds of 80 or 100Mbps as they're fast enough for multiple household users to be using the internet intensively without anyone complaining of performance issues. Is 330 really necessary, I ask myself.

In real life usage all our devices are connected wirelessly or via Homeplugs and are 'only' getting speeds of 20Mbps or so down and up. We can simultaneously download 'box sets' or HD movies from Sky, use the BBC iplayer and browse the net without thinking about it. But again I presume that would be possible at 80Mbps.

I've seen that some routers can't handle the speed. Monitoring them via a SamKnows white box I've seen three gigabit routers give very varying average download speeds. I've tried 4 gigabyte routers, three provided by PlusNet. Currently I'm using a ZyXEL VMG8924 but have an Asus RT-N66U which can't handle the speeds but am monitoring developments in the firmware which may enable it.

In summary I doubt I'd notice if I went back onto 100 or even 80Mbps, and if I did it may be a good thing as I'd stop fretting over whether the router was taking advantage of the line speeds! Also I wouldn't pay extra over FTTC prices to keep 330/30 (even if PlusNet were to offer it).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 14:41:54
Print Post

[re: fttp] [link to this post]

To be clear the issue with the throughput on devices is not that they cannot handle the throughput, but they often have trouble doing that volume of traffic when using PPPoE. In pure WAN to LAN Ethernet modes more hardware can cope with these speeds.

In the RT-N66U case it would be interesting to know if the Tomato or DD-WRT variants fared betted.

But the lesson that presence of a Gigabit Ethernet switch and WAN port do NOT equal guarantee of 1 Gbps of throughput support when using PPPoE is a salient warning.

Standard User TheManStan
(member) Wed 15-Jan-14 15:42:13
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Really?

They have 20Gbps of bandwidth for the network, 10Gbps thru a tier 1 with 10Gbps peered.
(isp) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:16:49
Print Post

I've been finding the same thing with routers. Right now I'm using a Zyxel USG 50 which seems happy coping with the speed, I'm next going to try a Draytek 2860 and a Fortiwifi 30D to give them a try.

I completely agree with the question over if speed >100mb will really be noticed by all but the most hard core users. Working for a service provider means I've got a good deal of transparency over the capacity and utilisation of the links between the hostlinks (Claranet's connections with BT Wholesale and the LINX, and I know there is plenty of capacity there. The BT Wholesale WBC network and the Openreach local network all seem to have lots of spare capacity as well, the result of which is I can consistently get >300mb from this line any time day or night.

Where things slow down is in the networks beyond ours, and how well connected the servers I'm connecting to are. It's still commonplace for most hosting environments (apart from the big sites) to have 100mb or less of bandwidth, and this is why I don't think for most people they'll ever notice the greater speed above 100mb. It'll only be hard core users or offices with lots of users where this kind of bandwidth will be any use.

M.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:23:48
Print Post

I see the Zyxel USG 50 doesn't have the throughput to cope with your line speed.

(isp) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:51:23
Print Post

Not officially but it seems to be coping with basic tests, and it's what I had kicking around smile. I suspect it would fail to cope if I tried to mix the traffic up a bit and increase the packets per second.

M.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 19:23:34
Print Post

In the RT-N66U case it would be interesting to know if the Tomato or DD-WRT variants fared betted.

The latest RT-N66U firmwares have re-enabled hardware acceleration for PPPoE, as documented in the alternative firmware "Asuswrt-Merlin" at the small net builder forums. This may or may not have much effect however, but generally these boxes have quick CPUs.

Without PPPoE just routing a static IP, I've got one at work on a 100/100 meg leased line, and its been flawless for 10 months now, its connected to our telco supplied Cisco router, as we needed something that we owned to do NAT/DHCP smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 16-Jan-14 00:09:47
Print Post

You should notify Zyxel you have a special one, or maybe there's something wrong with your testing strategy, I can't tell smile

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 16-Jan-14 09:20:52
Print Post

I thnik even the asus ac68u which asus claim to be the fastest router on the market cant handle 330.

probably can with accelerated NAT.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jan-14 19:17:41
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I thnik even the asus ac68u which asus claim to be the fastest router on the market cant handle 330.

Question is if it could on Sky say (who don't use PPPoE).

probably can with accelerated NAT.

I never know which is the heavier CPU load, NAT or PPPoE encapsulation. I always assumed PPPoE.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Jan-14 06:00:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I dont think sky's method is signficantly quicker than pppoe. It is still a wan to lan workload.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 17-Jan-14 06:01:12)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jan-14 07:46:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I dont think sky's method is signficantly quicker than pppoe. It is still a wan to lan workload.

I thought routing packets was always less CPU intensive than creating a new packet, storing the incoming packet in the data field, and adding headers and checksums, and then transmitting. (anything using any type of PPP).

Standard User Dils
(regular) Fri 17-Jan-14 12:23:19
Print Post

BT finished installing Fibre at parents house on Wednesday, they are coming to do activation and install fibre ONT on 24th.

but wont be getting the full 330/30 did not go for infinity 4 went for infinity 2.

its FTTP fed via OH cable.

Not happy as im stuck on an EO line at my house.
Standard User bezuk
(member) Fri 17-Jan-14 13:49:34
Print Post

My parents have also recently had FTTP installed (in fact I think it is in the same FTTP area as MartinS).

They've only gone for the 160/20 option, but for me the problem with this tech is distributing the max speeds it offers around the house. It's a fairly big house, and even using "ac" wireless (my own equipment + BT Home Hub 5 in exclusive 5GHz "ac" mode) I can only get ~90 megabits on the middle level and ~60 megabits on the top level.

Powerline networking has proved equally poor, with the latest "Homeplug AV2" compatible models only offering max 60 megabits of throughput to any other socket.

Not that my parents care much, but if it was my property I'd have to look for a professional contractor to install Ethernet all over the place. Since I'm stuck on an EO line myself with no prospect of increased speeds for years tweaking their crazy connection is as close as I'll get to having one.

Be Unlimited 35700 / 2500 on line bonding.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Jan-14 14:35:29
Print Post

[re: bezuk] [link to this post]

if you want performance go gigabit ethernet.

powerline is a poor man's solution and can also cause interference.

wireless is a conveniance solution but will perform worse than ethernet. Granted ac is pretty good tho. In my opinion anyone who thinks powerline networking is "good enough" for their needs are better off just using ac as that can outperform powerline networking anyway.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jan-14 15:01:54
Print Post

Now all the fuss has died down, I'll give my comments!

Snash, snash, snash!!!! wink

I'm going to have a "Terrible-two" type tantrum!! tongue

It is so unfair!!

My Exchange is NOT on any list/scheme to be upgraded to Fibre & there are these guys getting 330/30 - I believe that there are even some suppliers who are able to deliver 1G!!

Stamp, stamp, stamp (that is my feet having a good go)!

Am I green with envy? Too right I am!!

\now goes off to have a good sulk! laugh wink tongue

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Jan-14 15:06:47
Print Post

Though if someone has FTTP the interference that can or may affect VDSL2 is not an issue at all.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 17-Jan-14 15:19:20
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
I'm going to have a "Terrible-two" type tantrum!! tongue

It is so unfair

Is that because you are stuck on a "Terrible Two" - fixed 2Mbps ADSL?

M H C

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Jan-14 16:47:50
Print Post

might affect neighbours or other equipment.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jan-14 17:08:55
Print Post

[re: bezuk] [link to this post]

So 60 meg over wireless at the top of the house isn't good enough ???

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 17-Jan-14 22:47:08
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I have to mirror these comments with the caveat that my connection is a (soon to be killed) Bonded BE connection of 7Mb/1.6Mb and a neighbours house I back onto less that 30m away have the option of 330/30 FTTP.

My main comment on the experience of using this is that you guys must be very frustrated if you have to use a <10Mb service after getting used to >100Mb!

On the cost front, I pay £64/month for my bonded connection plus line rental for two phone lines at £30/month. So by my count £50 + £16/month for 300Mb fibre is the bargain of the century!

P.S. My sig is the best case connection I'm getting back unless I part with over £100/month for a bonded connection plus 2x line rental. The gap between BB haves and have nots is mental!

TG582n + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
on BE Home 24Mb

speedtest.net : 2nd Jan 2013 12:13 GMT
21ms ping : 4.24Mb/s Down 0.91Mb/s Up : London Server
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jan-14 09:15:18
Print Post

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

Could you not do some deal with your neighbour?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 10:37:42
Print Post

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

All the OP would need is the FTTP terminated at the neighbouring house and some external Cat6 to deliver service. Up it to 8 pair Cat6 and power could be supplied in the spare cores so there will not even be a need for the neighbour to supply that.

M H C

(isp) Sat 18-Jan-14 11:09:43
Print Post

Powerline is convenient, and I get a pretty reliable 100mb over mine (Homeplug AV based Technika PLAW10). You are right that GigE over Cat5/6 etc is far more preferable for speed, reliability, latency etc, but the challenge is getting wires around the house without them being noticed but not spending a fortune to have it done really properly.

My current tactic is to use Apple Airport Express devices in the rooms we want audio in, and also have them act as an wifi access point. The performance of that over Homeplug AV is good enough for me, and I'm pretty fussy!

M.
(isp) Thu 06-Feb-14 06:44:24
Print Post

Trying a new router now (a Draytek 2860n) and getting some interesting results:

Anyone seen this before? The 6 x test appears to be putting the router under some stress while the 1 x test is completely clean?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Feb-14 07:55:43
Print Post

Anyone seen this before?

Odd, I wonder if the 6x test is using up CPU in the router (might not be optimal at PPPoE for the high speeds of FTTP)

(isp) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:16:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes I think you're right. I've also got a Fortinet 30D to try which is rated to 800Mb on simple traffic, 350mb on IPSec so should be able to handle the throughput of this line. I'm going to get hold of Draytek first to see if they want to do any debugging on this first (although I suspect they'll say that router isn't designed to do 300Mb PPPoE).

M.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:20:35
Print Post

Last time I emailed Draytek, they said their router couldn't cope with any more than 50Mbps over the WAN. Have you considered using a software router like pfSense running on a high spec PC?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(isp) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:31:01
Print Post

Really? For a 2860? Interesting..

The exercise is more to find an 'affordable' easy to manage device that can cope at this speed. pfsense will 100% do it, but it doesn't really fit into the highly repeatable simple device model that an ISP like the one I work for would be interested in. So far, I've only had reliable results from devices costing >£350 (like the fortinet 30d)..
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:33:03
Print Post

Sorry, no - it was an earlier Draytek device.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User AndyHCZ
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 10:44:06
Print Post

Even the Asus RT-N66U has been reported to struggle with FTTP 330/30 - http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9425

Have you tried to telnet to your router and run top when doing the speed test to see what the resource usage is like?
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 06-Feb-14 10:56:17
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Even the Asus RT-N66U has been reported to struggle with FTTP 330/30 - http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9425
Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050 of the Asus firmware (you can find it here under Drivers and Tools) has the comment:
5. Fixed PPPoE throughput issues.
It's probably in the Merlin code too, but can't say what it does as I don't have speeds where it would matter frown

Bill

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:10:18
Print Post

Are you sure it is the router and not the PC?

Mr S will be the best to answer it but surely the PC is initiating 6 separate downloads and the router does not really care what the traffic is on the single network connection - it delvers traffic packets ass addressed/translated.

M H C

Standard User bdo21
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:39:57
Print Post

Would this be an option? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11997/index.html

It has only recently been released but is certainly sub £300 (online prices are around £135) and it looks like it has the specs to cope with 330.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:45:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

While they are all HTTP (TCP port 80 based) this will mean six entries in the NAT to handle things. So yes will be a greater load as the router handles the on going routing.

So yes PC is doing six downloads, but router is handling six streams of traffic.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:46:18
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

But if Gigabit is so popular around the world why all these problems. Or is the UK unique in using PPPoE too?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 12:02:44
Print Post

I see Rotor was posting here too, last year http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4200391-rec...
Interesting that the cheap Homehub 3 blows the rather expensive Asus out of the water... and no doubt, the overpriced Draytek too.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 12:10:29
Print Post

Optimised code for handling PPPoE at a guess and buying a million or two of a router does reduce the price a lot.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 12:11:52
Print Post

Apparently, it's due to the dual-core processor being able to run concurrent threads.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Feb-14 13:32:46
Print Post

Not jealous, honest grin

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 07-Feb-14 00:53:11
Print Post

Broadband providers that offer gigabit speeds usually use Ethernet based setups so no PPPoE. For example from Gigaclear's website:

"Gigaclear delivers an all-fibre, active, fibre to the premises (FTTP) network. We provide a 1000BaseFX Ethernet service to every property we connect to."

Hyperoptic is the same if you opt for 100Mbps or 1Gbps because both are symmetric which again implies Ethernet based connections.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Feb-14 08:18:01
Print Post

Or is the UK unique in using PPPoE too?

UK difference is that the network is wholesale in many cases. In US and other countries, an ISP owns a network and doesn't need to identify which customer to which ISP (think Virgin Media in UK, or even Sky or BE/O2 LLU).

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Feb-14 08:21:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:

The asus has been shown to handle 450 Mbps WAN to LAN but without PPPoE - similarly with the Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen and the new AC 6th Gen.

The PPPoE overhead is computationally expensive - hopefully the new firmware for the N66U has corrected an issue with the hardware acceleration which should help. Not enough people have fast enough WAN to test it.

I have an N66U on a 100/100 corporate connection in the office, which is on Ethernet / Static IP, and that has no problems with throughput, symmetric 100 Mbps.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Feb-14 09:29:33
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I know all that, the question really is given we are told we are so far behind the curve, surely another country has done PPPoE and VDSL2 at fast speeds before?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Feb-14 19:30:52
Print Post

surely another country has done PPPoE and VDSL2 at fast speeds before?

Why? The other countries are telco's running the physical network and the ISP, and not forced by regulators to open to other ISPs.

I'm aware in the US only AT&T has VDSL2 deployments in their UVerse product, and this is mostly about television and trying to compete with cable and satellite. I don't think any US cable company use PPPoE either.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 07-Feb-14 20:51:24
Print Post

You could always be sneaky and buy a Homehub 5.

Looks like it could give you a surprising speed form other comments, ask on here for someone to hack it or get your own experts to, that would give you access to all the features . Or even ask the manufacturer to supply unlocked versions to you.

Likely to be the cheapest high speed device if you can get them unlocked.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Feb-14 21:04:09
Print Post

There's a good chance the Homehub 4 would also be ok, and that IS available unlocked

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Feb-14 20:12:11
Print Post

For what it's worth the TL-WDR4300 is listed as doing 935Mb/s PPPoE.
Standard User fttp
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:29:33
Print Post

Back on 15 Jan I posted my experience of using 330/30 where I mentioned I'd found the Asus RT-N66U couldn't handle the speeds but was monitoring developments in the firmware.

Since then I installed version 3.0.0.4.374.38_2-em of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware which has enabled (re-enabled?) Hardware Acceleration and the router has now successfully been running at over 300Mbps, and the SamKnows white box monitoring shows it's consistent (compared to other routers I've tested).

I've now upgraded to the 374.39_0-em version of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and the speeds are still as high.

So after over 12 months of trying the Asus RT-N66U on and off it's now finally working to maximise the 330Mpbs speeds and I'm going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

But my original comment was about the 330/30 experience, as was asked for in the opening post. And my experience over the past 20 months has been that not all gigabit routers can handle it, and that firmware updates possibly haven't been tested for the faster internet speeds because the developers and most of the wider community don't have these speeds.

[Edited to correct date to 15 Jan from 14 Jan - thanks BatBoy for correction]

Edited by fttp (Mon 10-Feb-14 22:09:26)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:31:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by fttp:
So after over 12 months of trying the Asus N66-U on and off it's now finally working to maximise the 330Mpbs speeds and I'm going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

Great news, thanks for the update smile

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by fttp:
Back on 14 Jan I posted my experience of using 330/30
That was on 15 Jan actually.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 19:40:05
Print Post

I fitted a native FTTP today, 330/30 from BT retail. Hub 5 on the end of it, it's the first 330 one I have had a chance to play with, got 312Mbps on the Thinkbroadband tester hard wired using a Panasonic CFC1. It actually showed a full 30Mbps upstream too, very nice !

The interesting bit, for me, was that I usually use www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk as a cheap and dirty speed test, and for the 2nd time, a 330 line has only shown 15/16 meg on the download, but 30 upload. The test seems fine on an 80/20 FTTC ...... I wonder, could you try it with yours please and see if it does the same for you ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:55:23
Print Post

Using Merlin firmware but on a mere 25Mbps fttc

Needed the extra config options to get my voip phone working

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:57:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

We have 10Gig direct to our speed server and have run it at over 1Gig to a single machine (in data centre)

Plus control of network so if people moan we can see where issue was

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:05:23
Print Post

Well it seems just fine and dandy ! smile
Was hoping the OP could try that (cough) other site and see if he saw the same issue ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:07:52
Print Post

A bit slow frown.

330 x 0.9679 = 319 IP Profile.

tongue

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 12-Feb-14 21:08:35)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:11:49
Print Post

The filesize on BBMax is too small to get a good speedtest on FTTP.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:36:23
Print Post

Oh, OK, thanks. That makes sense.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:37:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Better than Martin managed though ! tongue

Standard User mpellatt
(member) Tue 18-Feb-14 16:02:48
Print Post

Re: FTTP 330/30 *DELETED*

Post deleted by mpellatt
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 19-Feb-14 11:45:14
Print Post

Martin

If you know a BT broadband customer they can get you a Homehub 4 for £35 to try as a comparison ( or even a home hub 5 for £45)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Feb-14 17:28:49
Print Post

Pity they're locked to BT isn't it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to