General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mysterym10
(learned) Wed 15-Jan-14 09:59:28
Print Post

Is the BT Infinity availability checker ever wrong?

[link to this post]

Me and my brother have seperate houses on the same new house estate on the outskirts of Coventry which have all been built by the same builder, if i look over my garden fence i see his cars parked on his drive.

He is upgrading to fibre today however the bt infinity checker tells me that i can't have fibre - which is something i've been waiting for since FTTC was first announced.

I had an engineer come and sort out a telephone socket in our house and i mentioned to him that i couldn't get fibre and he said that we should all be connected to the same cabinet since he worked for BT Broadband and looked after the area i was in.

At the bottom of my road is an older housing estate so i don't know if its probably that i'm connected to the cabinet that they are connected to instead.

My questioin is, can the checker ever be wrong? And if it can, how can i get it verified if i can get fibre or not? I'm a big gamer and adsl latency and lack of upload are a big pain.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 10:34:26
Print Post

Re: Is the BT Infinity availability checker ever wrong?

[re: mysterym10] [link to this post]

The checker can be wrong ( I know of at least 3 people where I live that have had issues with it saying they couldn't get fibre when infact they can) but it's not very often wrong.

Go to this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

What cabinet number does the BT checker say you are connected to and is it the same cabinet number as your brothers?, if it is the same and you are as close as you say then it could well be wrong.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:08:59
Print Post

Who is your phone line rental with? If it is Sky or TalkTalk, or any other LLU service, then you need to use your address. (Not your pure postcode). Use this checker anyway, not the Infinity one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mysterym10
(learned) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:11:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My line rental is with BT.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:14:17
Print Post

Still try the checker I gave you smile. If the estimate is below 15Mbps the Infinity checker doesn't want you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to