General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:31:44
Print Post

Distance between new FTTC cab and existing cab

[link to this post]

Hi,
I've been away for a few weeks and having returned today home i''ve noticed there's a new FTTC cab near to the one i'm connected to: (existing cab is to the right of green light)
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/01/15/photo...

Its around 80m from the existing cab, i thought FTTC cabs were usually within a few metres of each other? So does this mean that i WILL get FTTC? Exchange is earmarked for FTTC in March.

Just to confirm this is a FTTC cab right?
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/01/15/photo...

Cheers smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:35:33
Print Post

Re: Distance between new FTTC cab and existing cab

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Is this the first FTTC cabinet on your street cabinet, or the second one?

In the picture it looks like there may be an existing FTTC cab and a telephone cabinet just next to it.

Second cabs suggest capacity expansion and yes they can be some metres away, this may have been the only location where they could get permission to place it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:37:37
Print Post

Preferred distance is under 50 metres, but the maximum is 100 cable metres. Yes, that is a Huawei 288.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:39:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I too wondered what the other "blobs" were near the green light. Maybe we will get a pic of that area seeing as two of us are interested smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:51:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, didn't make it clear. 10m to the right of the green light are 2 cabinets one is a green cab (the one i'm connected to currently) and the other ~0.5m away is a grey cab which has been there for years so definitely not a FTTC cab. Now all of a sudden this new FTTC cabinet has appeared across the road ~ 80m as the crow flies.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 19:14:48
Print Post

Grey is probably traffic light control, and given its a junction placing cabinet on the corner may not have been an option.

So yes if no other BT cabs in the area this probably means FTTC is heading your way

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 22:33:19
Print Post

What does the BT Wholesale checker say? For your phone number if it isn't LLU, address if it is. Don't use the postcode checker.

(experienced) Thu 16-Jan-14 07:28:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does the BT Wholesale checker say? For your phone number if it isn't LLU, address if it is. Don't use the postcode checker.

The BT wholesale checker says i can only get the bog standard ADSL max (up to 8 meg), however the Superfast Where and When website says my exchange is being upgraded to Fibre in March 2014. I also emailed Openreach and they confirmed my cabinet would be upgraded to FTTC in Feb or March 2014. But strangely when i called Zen broadband to enquire, they were absolutely convinced my cabinet would NOT be getting FTTC anytime soon even though they were aware my exchange was being upgraded. Why would Zen be telling porkies?

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 16-Jan-14 07:38:51
Print Post

Why would Zen be telling porkies?

Probably under the mistaken belief that if there is no date or availability given then it's not planned.
Standard User Neifo
(newbie) Thu 16-Jan-14 09:28:08
Print Post

None of the exchanges in the HIE BDUK rollout that are due to go live in March show FTTC availability dates on the BT Wholesale checker. I have asked HIE the question and was told to check the openreach where and when site and to also look out for local advertising and mailshots.

Edited by Neifo (Thu 16-Jan-14 09:28:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to