General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User deepdishdj
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 09:16:35
Print Post

LIne stats

[link to this post]

I just set up my new Thomson TG589vn v3 so for the first time have been able to see my line stats but Im wondering if any kind person could take a look and advise me if all is as it should be.

Broadband Connection

2.1 Type VDSL
2.2 Status Up
2.2 Uptime 0 days 1 hours 18 mins 7 secs
2.3 Line Rate (Down / Up) 62727 Kbps / 20000 Kbps
2.4 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 6 dB / 6.5 dB
2.5 Attenuation (Down / Up) 11.2 dB / 0.2 dB
2.6 Power (Down / Up) 13.5 dBm / 5.9 dBm

Thanks very much
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 18-Jan-14 09:18:52
Print Post

Re: LIne stats

[re: deepdishdj] [link to this post]

Looks good. What is the estimate for your connection?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User deepdishdj
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 09:48:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Its not a new connection so has went up and down over the last year but is bang on what is reported for my ip profie. The reason I decided to buy the router was cut down on the number of boxes i needed to use and as I wanted to see my line stats without having to hack the modem.

having somebody confirm my stats are ok is the first step in trying to find out if i have a problem with my line. My thinkbraodband has been reporting packet loss for a while now and I thought it was my old billion router starting to give up the ghost but i think its my line now

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 18-Jan-14 09:53:59
Print Post

What you could do is monitor the Line Rates and the Noise Margins over a 24 hour period. The Noise Margin of 6 is currently bang on target and should not move too much. Routerstats may be able to extract and graph these for you if the web interface on the router is straightforward.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User deepdishdj
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 13:41:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have checked my line stats again and they are all the same so that is good.

What is concerning me though is the packet loss has increased since I have started using my new modem/router.

My Broadband Ping

You can see the time I set up the Thomson on my connection and the packet loss seems to have gotten worse could my tbb graph be miss reporting packet loss and does anybody know any reliable ways I could test this myself from my laptop?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 15:06:43
Print Post

It could be the router isn't good at responding to pings. Note that the minimum and average latencies have both gone up, plus the difference between them.

To check that you would need pings from you to elsewhere to compare with before.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User deepdishdj
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:13:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was expecting my average latency to go up as my connection does not seem to respond well to the modem being switched off and on again.

I will run a few thousand ping requests to bbc.co.uk and see if any discrepancy's occur.

My latency now seems to have went back down to what it was with my huawei modem

My Broadband Ping
Standard User deepdishdj
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:45:11
Print Post

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.18:
Packets: Sent = 2000, Received = 1991, Lost = 9 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 169ms, Average = 26ms

this is what I got back from my ping test so with the level of packet loss showing as almost constant on the tbb graph do these results make sense?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 19:03:50
Print Post

To me it means your modem isn't bothering to respond to incoming pings if it thinks it has work to do. As I suggested might be the case. It's a low priority task for many of them. Don't forget the tbb ping is every second, and the graph scale I think is one entry per hundred seconds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to