General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zzzmaillists
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 13:01:40
Print Post

Origin / fibre / digital region closure question

[link to this post]

Hi, just after some help towards a new provider, after sticking it out, i Just got a mac code and don't know where to go
Leaving Be as the Sky takeover appears imminent now I have paperwork

After a battle I got my mac code

Will Origin be affected by closure of the Digital Region

I am looking for a combined phone /broadband unlimited package pay Be £37 at the minute

Was worrying if I signed up I would need a new home if the digital region companies can't sustain the service following closure...

My exchange is here:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLDIO

Also seen plus net have a similar service but there appears to be a doubt about definition of unlimited!!

Any advice welcomed! Be got me speeds of 16meg,
Fibre appears to be a way forward but the digital closure worries me !
(Signing up and then having to find a new home again!)
Standard User vit0
(member) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:48:09
Print Post

Re: Origin / fibre / digital region closure question

[re: Zzzmaillists] [link to this post]

AFAIK none of the Digital Region ISPs (Origin, ASK4, etc) are taking any new orders due to the imminent closure / sale of the DR network.

No BT FTTC in your area yet?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Lee

Edited by vit0 (Sat 18-Jan-14 17:48:50)

Standard User Zzzmaillists
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 18:23:58
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

Hi lee thanks for the reply !
I wouldn't want BT
I tried that link but it can't be correct it doesn't find my phone number and when I enter postcode it tells me I would get 6meg! I am getting 16meg with be already

Any other companies that could provide me with fibre from the Dinnington exchange?

The Origin website doesnt mention new subscriptions being on hold -
With the imminent closure does this mean subscribers will lose service?!

Thanks for your help smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vit0
(member) Sat 18-Jan-14 21:08:38
Print Post

Your number must be with another provider rather than BT retail, use the address checker rather than postcode checker as it's more accurate.

I'm pretty sure Thales (DR network management) have closed to all new orders.

Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Jan-14 21:33:05
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

Correct Digital Region is on the way out and am working on the exit strategies for people

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 21:34:21
Print Post

The postcode checker is normally useless. Who is your phone rental with, as if it is Be it should work in that checker.

If it doesn't, then use the address checker. That is nearly as good.
Also seen plus net have a similar service but there appears to be a doubt about definition of unlimited!!
Wherever you got that from, either you misunderstood or read a post by someone who either misunderstood or is being deliberately awkward.

PlusNet Unlimited is unlimited. End of. Ofcom, the ASA, and competing ISPs would be shouting it from the housetops if it wasn't. Not just someone who hasn't a clue smile.

My last three ISPs. O2 LLU unlimited, IDNet FTTC allowance package, Plusnet Fibre Unlimited.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Jan-14 21:35:34)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jan-14 21:57:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zzzmaillists:
I tried that link but it can't be correct ... when I enter postcode it tells me I would get 6meg! I am getting 16meg with be already
That's cuz you are currently on Be's 'up to' 24 Meg ADSL2+ but that checker only looks at BTw services, where they only have 20CN 'up to' 8 Meg ADSL Max.

PN, which you mentioned, would also only be supplying that ADSL Max. I'd also be doubtful whether they can fulfil 'unlimited' at a 20CN exchange.

Frankly, at your exchange, w/out fibre, I'd think only an LLU provider can give you what you have been getting.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 22:15:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Grrr - I didn't spot the ADSL only apart from LLU.

However there's no problem about PlusNet supplying Unlimited there. It's also a Market 3 exchange so no problem with the price either.

I agree with you that an LLU-based ISP is what the OP needs to go for, to get good speeds. As he doesn't want Sky, and I assume not TalkTalk either, he needs to look at Aquiss, vivaciti and xilo/uno. (Putting that here to save a clogging up semi-repetitive post).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jan-14 22:24:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
However there's no problem about PlusNet supplying Unlimited there.
I'd still be a bit chary about any 'unlimited' ADSL Max service, c.f. O2 Access, Sky Connect, EE out-of-area.

Have we actually heard from any PN user on 20CN who downloads reams w/out problems?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 22:39:29
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

PN are still adding to WBC IPSC node capacity as required, just as they are to the 21CN side.
Posted: Mon, Dec 02 2013 at 11:44:28
Subject: Increase in 20CN and 21CN Broadband Capacity - Monday 2nd December

We will shortly be increasing the capacity of our IPSC (20CN) broadband host links by a further 1340Mbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to customers provisioned on an 'Up to 8Mbps' 20CN product.

In addition to this we will also be increasing the capacity of our WBC (21CN) broadband host links by a further 4.3Gbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to the majority of customers on our 21CN and Fibre services.

We're activating this extra capacity in line with the current budget, customers' usage habits and our projected growth in customer numbers.
Posted: Mon, Sep 02 2013 at 10:26:36
Subject: Increase in 20CN and 21CN Broadband Capacity - Monday 2nd September

We will shortly be increasing the capacity of our IPSC (20CN) broadband host links by a further 1.34Gbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to customers provisioned on an 'Up to 8Mbps' 20CN product.

In addition to this we will also be increasing the capacity of our WBC (21CN) broadband host links by a further 4.84Gbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to the majority of customers on our 21CN and Fibre services.
being the latest two upgrades.

Earlier in 2013 they were more frequent and bigger, as the bulk customer acquisition took place.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to