General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 15:57:55
Print Post

Choosing a Modem, Wiring & Location

[link to this post]

We are finally within sight (I think) of fibre becoming available to us although I cannot find any sort of date. Our exchange is live but our cabinet (Acle4) not yet connected although they did disconnect the village telephones for nearly 2 weeks when they moled through the main phone cable putting in the power connection to the fibre box. It is now powered and has cooling fans humming quitely. The ducts have been cleared (little holes in the road dug & filled) although I am not certain if the fibre cable is yet in place.

So:

If he can be persuaded to move it at all will the engineer be prepared/allowed to fit the master socket to the overhead wire which comes across the road from the pole or is an external junction box required? The exiting lead from the pole is long enough, without a joint, to get into the house and reach the proposed new master socket location which is right next to where the lead will enter the house. The present location of the master socket required a black square connector box on the outside wall that connects the incoming cable to a lead that goes to the master socket.

Are there any safety considerations about where they will fit a master socket/modem? I am thinking of in wardrobes/ fitted cupboards etc.

As BT are, I understand, no longer supplying a separate modem and the master socket location is/ will be unsuitable for my wireless router I want a separate modem. I prefer this solution to a data extension lead as I am concerned about interference. I need to have routed the cable before the installation as I don't think that the engineer will want to crawl around my attic. I have looked on ebay and there are two different Openreach modems. Does it matter which I have. I have no idea what brand of equipment is in the street cabinet.

Chris

16:48 amended for clarity

Edited by chris52 (Sat 18-Jan-14 16:48:40)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:08:15
Print Post

Re: Choosing a Modem, Wiring & Location

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chris52:
I have looked on ebay and there are two different Openreach modems. Does it matter which I have. I have no idea what brand of equipment is in the street cabinet.

Get the Huawei as its hackable and you can see the connection information.

It apparently no longer matters with the latest firmwares but the old way to check was to look at RobertoS cabinet page here: http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

That should help you determine if its a Huawei or ECI street cabinet. But I would still get the Huawei if buying yourself from eBay.

If you have a BT Infinity installation and they still send an engineer (as my parents have next week) you can ask and see if they have modems on the van. You might be lucky smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:23:10
Print Post

You mention BT re the modem, which implies you are going to get Infinity from BT Retail.

At the moment only BT Retail and Sky seem to be doing installations without the modem. Until that changes, if you go for any other ISP you will get an engineer install with a modem, and that should include the removal of the external master if that's what you have, and the installation of an internal NTE5 with filtered faceplate.

I don't know if any ISP will still be defaulting to engineer installs by the time you can order! It won't be long before it's just a question of a dangly filter or filtered faceplate (possibly as per the Openreach one) just like ADSLx is.

As Openreach offer four installation options to the ISPs, you should be able to negotiate an engineer visit, with modem, anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chris52
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:24:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am the proud near neighbour of "a cabinet near a pub"!!!!!!

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_furniture_1.html
Standard User chris52
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:28:24
Print Post

Re: Choosing a Modem, Wiring & Location *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by chris52
Standard User chris52
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:35:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
................... and that should include the removal of the external master if that's what you have.........................

I don't think that it is a master socket but rather just a connector. It has a black cover, is about 75mm square (guess) and appears open at the bottom where the cable loops in. The master socket is in the house and has the removeable faceplate that lets you get at the true master socket. It is not one of the fancy ones with the filter built in.
Standard User panda
(committed) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:06:30
Print Post

Similar to this?
If so, it's just a simple box to enclose crimped connections.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:18:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris52:
will the engineer be prepared/allowed to fit the master socket to the overhead wire which comes across the road from the pole or is an external junction box required? The existing lead from the pole is long enough, without a joint, to get into the house
The drop wire from the pole is not connected directly to an internal master socket, but goes via an external junction box, usually fitted under the eaves. Which sounds exactly like you already have. So, all the eng needs to do is fit a VDSL filter/faceplate to existing master or. maybe, move it to your desired location if it is different but that seems nearer, from what you say, to the point of entry than the existing master.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User chris52
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 18:36:20
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by panda:
Similar to this?
If so, it's just a simple box to enclose crimped connections.

Yes - the black one.
  Print Thread

Jump to