General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Slate
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-14 17:08:24
Print Post

Exchange Only Line, Fibre options?

[link to this post]

Hey All,

I'm kinda struggling to find out if there is any possibility of getting fibre on a line that is exchange only, in central London. It's a new build property from last year, and the cabinet outside the building has a big 'bt fibre' advert on it. However, none of the lines in the building go to the cabinet, theyre all e/o.

Can anyone offer advice on anyway to get fibre? All the ISPs I approach arent interested in FTTH/B or have no idea what I'm talking about frown

Thanks,
Jon
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jan-14 17:55:01
Print Post

Re: Exchange Only Line, Fibre options?

[re: Slate] [link to this post]

Currently it is a case of

1. Raise money to pay for the network rearrangement to get FTTC to the building via Openreach, perhaps £30,000 to £50,000.
2. Attract Hyperoptic with the Gigabit solution, which means co-operation from the landlord
3. Get the London Mayor to start doing something for areas like this, but as yet no official avenue for improvements is available.
4. Move to a flat with better speeds, simplest solution given London is considered to be fully commercial superfast covered at the simplistic level by Ofcom.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jan-14 18:48:32
Print Post

You are not alone. Don't know where in London you are but It's a big issue in Rotherhithe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bezuk
(member) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:34:30
Print Post

Also a big problem on the fringes of London - I am in Epsom, Surrey and four or five new build blocks in the town centre are in the same boat.

The problem boils down to this breakdown of the country into "areas" - if you are considered to be in a commercially-served "area" by the powers that be, then no funding or help will be forthcoming, regardless of whether you can actually order any sort of next-gen service.

Be Unlimited line bonding - soon to be withdrawn by Sky
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Mon 27-Jan-14 12:05:16
Print Post

Hyper-greetings!

Please feel free to drop me a note with your postcode and I'll let you know how we can help smile

sunita(dot)sharma(at)hyperoptic.com

Best wishes

Sunita
Head of Marketing

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to