General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shinerweb
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 13:33:18
Print Post

Alcatel-Lucent and BT achieve fastest real-world fiber speed

[link to this post]

sheesh...

Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and BT have today announced trial speeds of up to 1.4Tb/s with a record spectral efficiency of 5.7 bits per second per Hertz (b/s/Hz)on an existing core fiber connection. This is believed to be the fastest speed ever achieved in commercial grade hardware in a real-world environment and is equivalent to transmitting 44 uncompressed HD films in a single second.

Read the report here

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Jan-14 13:42:08
Print Post

Re: Alcatel-Lucent and BT achieve fastest real-world fiber s

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Just seen your post - after I posted similar in General Chatter. I didn't poach smile.

I don't think it will affect our speeds in the foreseeable future, but as I said there could save an awful lot of backhaul costs for the suppliers, which has to be good for us.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User shinerweb
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 15:16:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just seen your post - after I posted similar in General Chatter. I didn't poach smile.

I thought there might be a few posts being made when I saw the announcement on the BBC. I was umm'ing and rrr'ing over which group to post in wink

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't think it will affect our speeds in the foreseeable future, but as I said there could save an awful lot of backhaul costs for the suppliers, which has to be good for us.

It'll probably be my great great great grandchildren that see any benefit of that around here... (the village of Bramley, Hampshire). Especially given how long it took for us to eventually get FTTC/P

I met with Bill Murphy of BT last year at a conference down in Winchester and he was giving us the heads up on some of the work being done with respect to the continued use of copper over the last mile. Some of the speeds they were seeing in the lab were mightily impressive. He was suggesting 1-2 years before a cost effective method of providing symmetrical Gigabit speeds using the existing copper & FTTC approach. He privately suggested it was a deciding factor in the continued roll-out of FTTC rather than going for FTTP.
Not sure if I'll even see the benefit of any of that technology in my lifetime..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shinerweb
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 15:20:24
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Looks like RobertoS and I posted on the same topic at near enough the same time.

See this thread in General Chatter to continue this subject rather than having the same conversation in two different places.

Let's move this over to
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4298194-1...

Print Thread

Jump to