General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(learned) Wed 22-Jan-14 23:07:27
Print Post

Moving from LLU to Fibre

[link to this post]

Openreach have been rolling out fttc on my exchange since September. By the first week of Dec, 14 of the 22 cabs on the exchange had been fibre enabled and where available to take orders. My cab was one of the 8 NOT done at this time. But, it has now appeared on roadworks.org - with a cab due to be sited between Feb 3 - Feb 11. The last cab they did in the first phase took just 5 weeks from concrete base to available to order, so my cab could be available by mid to late March.
Now my question.
I am at the moment, and have been for the past 3 years, with SKY (LLU) + phone line. I don't subscribe to the Sky TV stuff. When my cab is enabled I intend to move to TalkTalk Fibre. Would it be best to move now in advance i.e. Sky LLU to Talktalk LLU then upgrade to Talktalk fibre or Switch straight from Sky LLU to TalkTalk fibre when the cab is done?.... Basically, is LLU to LLU less problematic to do than going straight from LLU to Fibre?

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Wed 22-Jan-14 23:10:11)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 23:19:02
Print Post

Re: Moving from LLU to Fibre

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

Basically, is LLU to LLU less problematic to do than going straight from LLU to Fibre?

Why not just stay with Sky and take their FTTC offering when the cab goes live, isn't this the simplest option ?

Standard User Sir_Jasper
(learned) Wed 22-Jan-14 23:24:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Why not just stay with Sky and take their FTTC offering when the cab goes live, isn't this the simplest option ?

Simplest. yes! But, sky is £20 per month - TalkTalk £12.50.
Plus, Sky Fibre is not, at the moment, available - TalkTalk fibre is.

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Wed 22-Jan-14 23:28:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 23:29:07
Print Post

Then to try and make your path as easy as possible, I'd suggest you migrate Sky to TalkTalk, then upgrade to their FTTC service.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 02:04:34
Print Post

btw.. talktalk fibre, is £2.50, £7.50 or £15.50 (Simple, Ess or Plus TV) +£15.40 line rental then + £10 for 38mb fiber or £15 for 80mb

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24272 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 0.3 dB 11.8 dB
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:20:37
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Don't forget the the Talk Talk up 40 meg product is only 40/2 not 40/10.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:46:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sir_Jasper:
Simplest. yes! But, sky is £20 per month - TalkTalk £12.50.
Plus, Sky Fibre is not, at the moment, available - TalkTalk fibre is.

But in your opening post you said that FTTC would not be available until early February?

You could always negotiate with SKY, tell them that you are considering moving to TT as it is cheaper!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:41:06
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
But in your opening post you said that FTTC would not be available until early February?
It's possible TT have had their GEA link installed at the exchange but for some reason Sky are still waiting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(learned) Thu 23-Jan-14 15:30:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's possible TT have had their GEA link installed at the exchange but for some reason Sky are still waiting.

I believe this is the case. A friend with TT has upgraded to their Fibre service. And someone else I know with Sky (LLU) can't upgrade to sky fibre.

As I stated I'm with Sky and pay £10 per month. I get speeds of 3.34 Mbps down and 0.66 Mbps Up. Being approx 700 mtrs from the cab I should get a substantial download increase for just an extra £2.50 a month. I don't need fibre speed so much to warrant paying an extra £10 a month to sky. But, the extra speed would come in handy when I use iPlayer HD - this would be my only benefit with fibre and worth the extra £2.50 - I don't need any extra upload speed.

My main reason for posting was to find out if there would be any technical benefit making a move now from one LLU product to another,then make the move to fibre which would be just an upgrade with TT. By benefits I mean less down-time, being able to keep my phone number. If it brings no benefit I will wait and then just apply to talktalk for fibre.

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Thu 23-Jan-14 15:34:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Jan-14 15:41:47
Print Post

I think the most pertinent advice was earlier in the thread, from an OR FTTC engineer who knows what is involved technically in the two cases.

My take on what he says is that both involve the same work at the cabinet, but at the exchange it would be less complicated and safer at the time to migrate first then upgrade, rather than migrate and upgrade simultaneously.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to