General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burty22
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-14 22:51:25
Print Post

Downgrading from FTTC to ADSL

[link to this post]

Due to the expense of Fibre with plusnet, I have signed up with EE to move my line to them on monday. Am I correct in saying an engineer visit will be required to take me off the fibre connection in the cabinet?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jan-14 23:36:15
Print Post

Re: Downgrading from FTTC to ADSL

[re: burty22] [link to this post]

Why on earth would u downgrade from FTTC to ADSL? As ADSL up to 8Mbps will be very struggle in many HD video.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 23:48:30
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I'll remind you that the term 'ADSL' is used ambiguously. It can mean the whole family of data transmission technology entirely (unlike VDSL) over copper telephone lines or it can just mean just one of that family, the original G.992.1. I expect the OP was using it in the former sense genetically but with an expectation of ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 24-Jan-14 00:40:45
Print Post

[re: burty22] [link to this post]

Is that cheaper than downgrading with Plusnet?

No engineer visit needed. The work is at the cabinet and exchange. It is unlikely Openreach will want the modem back.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Alex1M6
(regular) Fri 24-Jan-14 07:47:01
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Why on earth would u downgrade from FTTC to ADSL?

See:
In reply to a post by burty22:
Due to the expense of Fibre with plusnet

I know it's hard to believe but to many people an internet connection comes after other necessities.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 24-Jan-14 09:33:13
Print Post

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

that may be true but broadband is very cheap compared to other commodities, families often spend 4x as much on food a week as an example. Although if US speed isnt important and its a good adsl line syncing in the high teens its understandable, especially as adsl contracts can be had on a monthly basis.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jan-14 09:50:16
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Spending on food is something of a requirement to live and a slow broadband connection will still allow for the cost savings of online billing etc.

I'll go and say what no-one else is saying, Netflix, lovefilm etc all stream fine on a 5 Mbps capable connection

The cost equation is of course different if you are someone who works from home and poor broadband would mean having to commute.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jan-14 11:40:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Spending on food is something of a requirement to live and a slow broadband connection will still allow for the cost savings of online billing etc.

I'll go and say what no-one else is saying, Netflix, lovefilm etc all stream fine on a 5 Mbps capable connection

The cost equation is of course different if you are someone who works from home and poor broadband would mean having to commute.
And worth noting that even some of us on FTTC (68/18 in my case) average less than 100MB a day. I have a suspicion the majority of that is caused by miscreants trying to subvert my mail server.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jan-14 11:54:11
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

240MB so far today and that is just one PC with me doing news and stuff

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 24-Jan-14 15:11:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

not all food is required tho, people buy cakes, trifles, booze etc.

and of course for some the internet is essential.

alot of it is about priorities, some people treat the internet as near worthless but still have it I guess because its fashionable to, for others its important.

The internet is also a big cost saver for very basic things as internet shopping, searching, amongst other things tends to be significantly cheaper than actually having to go out and physically go somewhere.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to