General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hopkapi
(learned) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:51:39
Print Post

FTTPoD MDU funding

[link to this post]

I've been thinking about whether FTTPoD, with the financials arranged differently, with little to no tie to a CP, could actually work quite nicely when it comes to MDUs.

While I might be wrong, I'm under the impression that the construction in terms of actually getting fibre to/into a building is the most expensive part of the whole process, and that while there'd obviously be a marginal cost of installing FTTP to each unit that wants it, the big scary construction cost might be a whole lot less scary if it can be divided amongst each individual unit/absorbed by a management company.

Obviously this would require Openreach to change the product so it's no longer tied into a CP with a 3 year contract, and for enough of those in a building to actually want to fund it a bit themselves/poke the various building management/landlords in order to get approval to do it, but it otherwise broadly seems like a more hands-on version of the way in which Hyperoptic seem to do things.

Please, people more knowledgeable than I, disabuse me of the feasibility of this idea wink.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:06:37
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD MDU funding

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

If you didn't have a CP involved, how would your traffic get to and from between you and the rest of the world? In fact, how would it get any further than the Openreach GEA handover point at your exchange?

There's an awful lot more going on on top of your physical connection to the exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User hopkapi
(learned) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:13:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

To clarify, CPs would obviously need to be involved in terms of actually providing broadband services to individual customers, what I was proposing was severing/significantly reducing their role in ordering FTTPoD so that it's possible for those in an MDU to share the cost of FTTP installation, pick the CPs of their choice, and not be tied to a 3 year contract etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:30:22
Print Post

Of the 100,000+ FTTP lines Openreach have installed I believe 99.9% are native FTTP, i.e. same 12 month term and install pricing as the FTTC products.

FTTPoD is all about wiring a single person up at a time.

If you are looking at a MDU and want to wire say 200 existing flats to the Openreach network via FTTP, then a native approach is the way to go. i.e. approach Openreach after having discussed with building owner to ascertain whether suitable ducting is probably in place and locations for the ONT.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:34:16
Print Post

I think that could be achieved in many cases using existing facilities.

It would require the building management company, (if necessary newly formed by the residents), to liase with a builder and a wholesale broadband provider.

The builder has access to this document, just as we have. He would need to negotiate with Openreach over the detail for the particular site, then do the infrastructure installation for the fibre feeds by OR. Openreach may even be prepared to do that basic work when it isn't new build, but I expect it would cost more than a builder.

The Management Company could also set itself up as a small vISP and negotiate with the likes of TalkTalk Business, Enta, Murphy et al to use an existing GEA feed at the exchange and provide the ongoing backhaul and peering facilities.

Obviously a lot of negotiation would be needed before any commitments were made.

(Edit - MrSaffron's suggestion posted while I was drafting mine looks similar but simpler! It eliminates the vISP aspect).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Jan-14 16:39:02)

Standard User hopkapi
(learned) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:54:12
Print Post

Maybe I shouldn't have framed this around FTTPoD, but if you're just one person who wants FTTP in an MDU, you currently have no actual way forward to get it that doesn't involve personally managing to persuade the building management company to do/finance all of that work, or taking on all of it yourself. This doesn't seem likely to happen in anything but the highest-end developments with a very high proportion of highly motivated and technically knowledgeable residents with masses of free time on their hands.

At the same time, the FTTPoD route, unless I'm mistaken, would necessitate a reasonably large amount of the same/most expensive bits of work to do 'native FTTP', being conducted by Openreach, just in order to get one user connected. This is even before we touch on the current way in which FTTPoD ties you to one particular CP for a broadband product for a full 3 year period, which is even more problematic for those who aren't owner-occupiers (which is obviously common in MDUs).

It just seems sort of reasonable to me that if you've got quite a number of people who live in one MDU who'd like FTTP and would be willing to split the installation costs, there could be a relatively simple route for them to do so, without necessitating that they must instead persuade their management company to organise and fund a full FTTP install for everyone.

Edited by hopkapi (Sun 26-Jan-14 16:58:03)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(learned) Sun 26-Jan-14 17:26:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by hopkapi:
Maybe I shouldn't have framed this around FTTPoD, but if you're just one person who wants FTTP in an MDU, you currently have no actual way forward to get it that doesn't involve personally managing to persuade the building management company to do/finance all of that work, or taking on all of it yourself.

Openreach have already been installing FTTP in MDUs. They did a trial a couple of years ago too I believe.

There is an issue that existing MDUs need the freeholders permission to have FTTP installed (way-leave agreement). I know there are some people in MDUs that can order FTTP and some that cannot.

The biggest problem here is the developers. There are developers in Milton Keynes who are building new houses/apartments in FTTP areas and they are not being pre-wired for FTTP. This makes no sense and it is obviously a headache for Openreach. I would not be too happy if I moved into a brand new house or flat in a FTTP area, only to be told that NGA is not available because the Developers failed to work with Openreach to put the fibre infrastructure in place.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 18:20:38
Print Post

Re: FTTP MDU funding

That's fair enough.

Working from MrSaffron's proposal, and on the basis of FTTP which basically is what the three of us are on about, then an Openreach distribution point does need locating in the building.

Individual users could then be connected to the ISP of their choice. The contract terms would be exactly the same as they are for customers of the same ISPs in an native FTTP area. AIUI, at the moment the 3-year term is because Openreach impose a three-month contract on the ISP. I have a feeling that is under review, but I could be wrong.

I suggested the/(a new) management company simply because that could be the best way to maximise the number of initial contributors. The building owners would anyway have to be involved in the permission for and positioning of that OR termination point, as MrSaffron said.

Of course, if you can already get FTTC then not many residents are likely to join in, whatever the method used. If you are in an FTTP area and the problem is simply the multi-occupancy building you stand a chance. If neither, but the exchange is GEA (fibre) enabled, the cost could be prohibitive as the nearest aggregation point could be a considerable distance away.

If the exchange is not GEA enabled, then there's no way forward until it is.

Standard User hopkapi
(learned) Sun 26-Jan-14 19:45:57
Print Post

I did think it'd probably end up being a bit more work than just providing one user with FTTP, though I'm honestly interested if anyone knows what kind of costs we're talking about here so I can talk out of my [censored] a teeny bit less wink. Obviously the building owners would have to approve things either way, but there's quite a big difference between trying to get them to approve it, and them organising/funding the whole thing. In practice I was thinking something of something along the lines of Race to Infinity crossed with Kickstarter, though obviously this might mean a situation where Openreach would have to interact with actual end users, which makes it seem a bit less likely.

The particular building I'm thinking about is now on track to get FTTC by the end of May, and is hopefully not too far from an aggregation point considering it's literally next to an activated exchange wink.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-14 19:51:09
Print Post

If the exchange has FTTC or FTTP on it already, and there are cabinets with FTTC within 500-1000m then a price of around £1,000 per flat would be a rough ball park figure.

Flats due to their varied construction always are slightly bespoke, so for example if their is a comms room with space for fibre splitter, this may save the need for a pavement chamber and reduce price slightly.

Only real way to know is to engage Openreach after having found out if your ideas are just yours, or you can get say 100 other people to order.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to