General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lj_hh
(newbie) Tue 28-Jan-14 08:25:26
Print Post

Fibre On Demand - connect to another cabinet?

[link to this post]

I believe my house is roughly the same distance from two different cabinets, and that one of them is fibre enabled. Needless to say, I'm connected to the other one. Although the exchange/area, Haywards Heath, doesn't have Fibre on Demand yet, I suspect this could happen well before my cabinet gets updated.

I'm just wondering with a FoD install if it is possible to choose a connection to another cabinet? Probably dreaming, but surely I won't be the first or last to ask...
Standard User timl
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 08:33:30
Print Post

Re: Fibre On Demand - connect to another cabinet?

[re: lj_hh] [link to this post]

From my memory FOD is run from the nearest Fibre aggregation node from the FTTC box you're connected to, which isn't necessarily near to the FTTC box.

As you're not connected to FTTC I'm not sure what the response would be from BT... I'll leave the other guys to answer more fully.

Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jan-14 08:53:46
Print Post

Re: Fibre On Demand - connect to another cabinet?

[re: timl] [link to this post]

The response at this time would be NO

Connecting you to the 'wrong' aggregation node, assuming each cabinet has its own would be mean that in maybe 10 years that the GPON arrangements would be confused and messed up for the area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to