General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jossmer
(learned) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:10:29
Print Post

South Yorkshire Digital Region Problems moving to BT Infinit

[link to this post]

HI folks.

Due to the impending closure of the South Yorkshire Digital Region. I have been looking for option for a new provider. I am lucky enough to be able to get BT Infinity 2 on a good deal.

So I placed the order. However BT have insisted on a MAC code. My current provider Ask4 said they do not provide MAC codes.
So I was stuck. However I have pressured Ask4. They have been in touch with Thales. They have now agreed to provide me with a MAC code.

This is really just for information of others who are on the SYDR and looking to move to an other fiber provider.

Regards

joss

Jossmer
Wonkawarriors PC gaming community
BF2BC & and more on our dedi server
http://wonkawarriors.co.uk/news.php
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:27:36
Print Post

Re: South Yorkshire Digital Region Problems moving to BT Inf

[re: jossmer] [link to this post]

Go back to ask 4 a mac should be available. They did think they would not but they had confirmation earlier today.

If you get nowhere email me with customer info and will chase ask 4

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jossmer
(learned) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:54:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. As I said in my post They have now agreed to provide my MAC code by the end of the week.

I will update when i get the mac.

regards

joss

Jossmer
BSM britishsergeantsmess.com
BF4
http://www.britishsergeantsmess.com/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippo
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 19:37:33
Print Post

I would be very interested to see how you get on. I'm also with ASK4 and have been looking to move to a BT based fibre product, but haven't because no one in BT seems able to understand that I'm on a different fibre supplier.

Also, when you submitted the order, did it show as BT infinity being available or did you have to do it over the phone. Using the BT infinity checker it says I can only get ADSL, but dslchecker.bt.com shows fibre being available (and which cab it is) - I know that fibre is available, so the checker that infinity use it obviously picking up on the DRL incompatibility.

---
Hippo

Edited by hippo (Tue 28-Jan-14 19:39:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 20:49:13
Print Post

[re: hippo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hippo:
... no one in BT seems able to understand that I'm on a different fibre supplier.
In February 2012 BT (Retail) refused to believe I wanted to migrate from IDNet FTTC to Infinity. Only BT Retail and VM cable had fibre according to them, so I was an idiot who didn't realise I couldn't be on fibre if I wasn't with either of those. Said in nicer words that that, but that gentle, sympathetic tone of voice was there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User hippo
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 22:14:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In February 2012 BT (Retail) refused to believe I wanted to migrate from IDNet FTTC to Infinity. Only BT Retail and VM cable had fibre according to them, so I was an idiot who didn't realise I couldn't be on fibre if I wasn't with either of those. Said in nicer words that that, but that gentle, sympathetic tone of voice was there.

Slightly off topic, but I filed a complaint against BT after a call from an infinity sales dude for something similar. It was 2011 and he couldn't understand that I had fibre that wasn't BT. He kept telling me that I was mistaken and I didn't have 40mbit fibre but 4mbit ADSL. It started getting a little heated and he started ranting about me lying to him to get him off the phone but that he had all the information on the screen so he was wise to me.

It's the only time they have ever got to me, but I was so incensed that he could act like that to me.

Anyway, I'm hoping that jossmer's experience will pave the way for a quick migration to faster provider.

---
Hippo
Standard User jossmer
(learned) Wed 29-Jan-14 09:13:11
Print Post

[re: hippo] [link to this post]

I replied but it went somewhere else. Maybe i dreamed it.

So to answer your questions hippo.

I was aware my exchange was Infinity enabled, I was also aware of the cab location and the fact it was enabled for Infinity.

But BT did not via the phone. I used the Infinity web page and used my phone number rather then the post code, sure enough up pops the confirmation I could get Infinity 2 from street cab 3 and the speeds i could expect.

So I decided to try out the live chat on the BT inf web page. I explained i wish to order Inf 2 as my exchange was open for orders.
I was sent a link and completed my details while still in chat. Once submitted my order was confirmed in live chat.

All was good. I received and email with full details and confirmation.
Later in the evening I received a call from BT asking for a MAC code.

Ask4 were insistent that I don't need one. Just stick to your guns and insist that you do. Ask4 spoke to Thales and they then agreed to give me my mac code.

I have just received and email from ask 4 demanding 30 days notice.
I think that is rather unfair.

Update I have just received my mac code from Ask4

Update. I have now supplied my MAC code to BT. Guess what happened now...
BT say the Mac code is unacceptable.
Why is it unacceptable ? Because BT say the last part of the Mac code should be a letter not a number.

here is the last part of the MAC code /SL043 BT are saying the 3 should be a letter.
This is fast becoming a farce

Jossmer
BSM britishsergeantsmess.com
BF4
http://www.britishsergeantsmess.com/

Edited by jossmer (Wed 29-Jan-14 11:47:37)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 17:12:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by jossmer:
Update. I have now supplied my MAC code to BT. Guess what happened now...
BT say the Mac code is unacceptable.
Why is it unacceptable ? Because BT say the last part of the Mac code should be a letter not a number.

here is the last part of the MAC code /SL043 BT are saying the 3 should be a letter.
This is fast becoming a farce

BT are correct, the last number should be a letter. I wonder if it should have been a 'B'
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jan-14 17:46:27
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Mac Code can be issue farce exspecially the letter/number O or 0, B or 8, L or 1

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Wed 29-Jan-14 17:48:21)

Standard User hippo
(member) Thu 30-Jan-14 09:30:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If MAC's are being issued by DR/Thales then does this mean that there is a migration path that doesn't require a cease and provide (which I thought was the only way off DR)?

---
Hippo
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to