General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:36:20
Print Post

FTTP price increase

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6267-openreach-in...

This is rather academic as we don't yet have a date for fibre in our town but this was something that I had already started saving for.

For those of us who probably live to far from the cabinet to benefit from FTTC over ADSL2+, the 75% price hike is a real kick in the teeth.

While previously I would have considered a £5k+VAT outlay for FTTP as a 10-year long-term investment, nearly doubling that mans this is now out of the question.

Prices should be coming down, no?

Regards,

Rob

Edited by fiddler (Tue 28-Jan-14 17:41:37)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:58:40
Print Post

FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

Your thread title is inaccurate and misleading as the article you have linked to refers to FTTPoD otherwise known as FoD, a completely different product to native FTTP.

Edited by Rastus (Tue 28-Jan-14 17:59:37)

Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:06:11
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

Apologies.

For those like me who are new to the subject, what is the difference between FTTP and FTTPoD on a consumer level?

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:16:19
Print Post

FTTP is supplied in a few places instead of FTTC, at similar or identical prices for equivalent end user speeds. The higher speeds of FTTP are also available. Or ar least some are.

FTTPoD is when people in an FTTC area would like those higher speeds, or simply a guaranteed full speed of say 80/20 rather than like my line where FTTC gives 59/14. FTTP/FTTPoD run at the advertised speed - no "up to".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:31:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you.

So does that mean that if you live too far from a cabinet for a traditional fibre product to work and you're not in one of the few places where FTTP is supplied then FTTPoD is your only fibre alternative?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:38:33
Print Post

As far as I know, FTTPoD just replaces the copper from your home to a fibre enabled cabinet. No FTTC, no FTTPoD.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:47:46
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
As far as I know, FTTPoD just replaces the copper from your home to a fibre enabled cabinet. No FTTC, no FTTPoD.
I think the phone service stays on the copper. I could be wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:55:57
Print Post

Depends by what you mean by too far from the cabinet for FTTC to work.

If your phone is connected to an FTTC-enabled cabinet, but you are so far away from it that the BT Wholesale checker doesn't give an FTTC estimate when you supply the phone number or address, (the postcode checker is unavoidably unreliable for a couple of reasons), then you can't order FTTPoD.

But if you are at a distance that for example has an estimated or real FTTC speed of 6/1.7Mbps, then you may be able to get a quotation (in the thousands) for FTTPoD. Or Openreach may just say they don't want to do it. All FTTPoD orders are subject to survey, as there could be obstacles making it physically not feasible.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 19:37:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto

The phone service could stay on the copper or be served by the fibre, it depends in part on your ISP.

As I read it, if it remains on the copper you would pay line rental on the copper and the higher fee on the fibre. If you use the fibre you would drop the copper line rental. However it its't clear. I think only BTretail are selling voice over the fibre at present, I haven't seen any indication of this from other providers yet.

It appears feasible to get the voice from one supplier and the data from another but I haven't seen any indication of this in a live area yet. Pure FTTP only areas ( Ebbsfleet) or new builds would be where the evidence would be. I would assume that anyone selling only the Data path would recommend a Voip supplier for voice.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 21:58:16
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Let's make sure we don't assume FTTP and FTTPoD are the same wrt the phone service smile.

At greenfield sites such as Ebsfleet AIUI the phone may have been fibre as well, but I'm sure many FTTP areas where copper already exists then the phone was left on it.

As with FTTPoD it is almost certain there will be existing copper, you may be right but I don't think it likely.

I expect SWK (a variation on She Who Knows to Someone Who may know) will spot this.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to