General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User helix_quazer
(newbie) Thu 30-Jan-14 14:15:28
Print Post

FTTC Bonding Problems

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone can help. Upon testing FTTC lines provided by BT I can see that although the contention is not great, overall they provide good speeds.

The problem I have is with bonding FTTC lines, the solutions never seem to be able to achieve the speeds they should and it just doesn't seem to work properly. I wonder if its anything to do with contention or BT's backhaul between the cabinet and the exchange that just doesn't allow 1 site to use up that much bandwidth? Any help is appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jan-14 15:14:48
Print Post

Re: FTTC Bonding Problems

[re: helix_quazer] [link to this post]

have you tested the bonding devices and routers whether they can manage the throughput while also bonding at those sorts of speeds.

The backhaul from a cabinet to the handover node (main fibre exchange) is at least 1 Gbps.

Test each line individually but at the same time, and if good speeds then its not contention but points toward the system doing the bonding.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 15:20:03
Print Post

Don't know why you think the contention isn't good - it's not the case.

I agree with Andrew. How are you bonding them? You need to provide more detail on your setup.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 30-Jan-14 15:50:35
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

I'm using a Cisco 2911 which can handle the bonding fine, I have tested all lines individually out of the bonding and they work fine. There may be a certain way of configuring them that solves the problem but I don't know what that is, I am currently using MLPPP, do you know of a better way?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 16:11:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by helix_quazer:
I'm using a Cisco 2911 which can handle the bonding fine,
How do you know that?
I have tested all lines individually out of the bonding and they work fine.
But simultaneously as requested?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Thu 30-Jan-14 16:33:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry not simultaneously, what would be the benefit of that? According to the spec of the Cisco it can handle about 180mb/s of bandwidth and it has gig ports ect. I am currently attempting to run 3 40mb/s down 10mb/s up fttc lines into it and only achieving speeds of just over 1 line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:00:46
Print Post

Running tests at the same time on both lines independent of the bonding would show if the issue is the backhaul.

Are the two lines with the same provider?
The spec sheet for the Cisco, which direction is the 180 Mbps, and if presenting the connection to the Cisco as PPPoE that can have an impact. We have seen other routers than can handle 700 Mbps of WAN/LAN traffic struggle with 200 Mbps of PPPoE WAN to LAN traffic.

If the issue is the Cisco it should be apparent from CPU/memory utilisation.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:53:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will see if its possible to test the 3 lines at the same time. There are 3 lines and yes they are all with BT, as far as I can tell the quoted 180mb/s is WAN to LAN and I am running PPPoA over the lines. SNMP monitoring on the router shows the CPU is not having any problems at all
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:59:51
Print Post

PPPoA? You sure?

The protocol between the Openreach Fibre modem and the router is usually PPPoE.

(newbie) Thu 30-Jan-14 18:15:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry you are correct it's PPPoE

Edited by helix_quazer (Thu 30-Jan-14 18:16:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to