General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sshaikh
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 10:55:30
Print Post

Optimising Sky Fibre Self Install

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm about to have my Sky Fibre activated, and was a bit puzzled by how I didn't need a visit like those I know on fibre had. I now realise that Sky do self install (which is actually great for me). But the OCD in me needs to know if I can do better. I already have Sky ADSL, and an Openreach branded socket with one socket (which I've connected the microfilter to). I don't know what the model is.

1) What (in terms of equipment) are the differences?
2) Is it possible to have a "engineer equivalent" install via the self install option? I'm happy to get my hands dirty.
3) What would I need? After doing various searches here and other places I see things like these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-Openreach-Interst...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GMORGIC/ref=as...

Which do I need? Is there really a MK2? What's the difference? Are there any other (cheaper?) options?

Would I need a crimping tool or similar to install the new faceplate?

Thanks!

Edited by sshaikh (Mon 03-Feb-14 10:57:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:02:53
Print Post

Re: Optimising Sky Fibre Self Install

[re: sshaikh] [link to this post]

1. The current socket you have sounds like the standard face. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate shows the taking apart of a faceplate set-up. but explains how it fits together
2. Yes you fit a VDSL faceplate and it is identical to an engineer install
3. There is a MK2 slightly better filtering, but not seen anyone really claim it has made a massive difference

Why do you think you need a crimping tool? What are you planning to do. Engineers don't usually have to do any crimping on a normal install in a home.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sshaikh
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:24:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the very quick reply.

I thought I would have to deal with a bare wire to fit the new faceplate. But if I understand the (very handy) link you posted the whole thing seems to stack like Lego with the existing socket I have.

Is there any way to slim things down, or is this "double thick" stacked setup how all engineer installs are done?

Finally... which VDSL Interstitial plate would be recommended (ie reputable seller etc).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(member) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:33:07
Print Post

I'm using this one

BTBroadband
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:55:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by sshaikh:
Finally... which VDSL Interstitial plate would be recommended (ie reputable seller etc).

I bought one of these Openreach MK2's and fitted at weekend. No difference to the 18month old original Openreach so far. smile
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191045937873?ssPageName=ST...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User sshaikh
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 12:24:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I bought one of these Openreach MK2's and fitted at weekend. No difference to the 18month old original Openreach so far. smile
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191045937873?ssPageName=ST...

Thanks, bought!

Thanks to all who replied too.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Feb-14 12:53:19
Print Post

No way to slim it down

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flipdee
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 13:16:45
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

Hey sshaikh,
You pretty much read my mind. I was just about to start a very similar thread (or keep an older thread going probably straying further off topic though.)

Anyway, Can I ask what the Sky Fibre checker is estimating you will get speed wise?
I have a friend who has just got Sky Fibre, the self install includes one microfilter, so although I wouldn't/haven't personally done it, you could not use the interstitial filter and just opt for the microfilter.
My general policy is to get the VDSL modem (in sky's self install setup) the Sky Hub (no seperate BTOpenreach VDSL modem required as close as possible to the master socket with interstitial filter.
All of these "tricks and tips" seem to be a very hot topic on TBB forums at the moment, such as the MK2 faceplate and even the "Tandy" or adslnation pro 0.5m twisted pair RJ11 (VDSL) link cable.

I thought I was "prepared" for doing my friend's self install, their estimate was 6Mbps download, when connected we got about 8/9Mbps but maxing out the upstream seemed to cause packet loss.
His line travels quite a distance within his property (130m long driveway) to his master socket, so I was curious about reducing this distance, however from other's recommendation, playing about with the connection within the first few days/10 days of activation is generally not recommended.

On this basis, it might be worthwhile doing all "tweaks" prior to actual connection.
If you have the MK2 faceplate ordered thats great, I also am waiting for one to arrive, my concern is that now his service is live, I shouldn't really touch anything as attempts to improve the connection may actually slow it down.
The Sky Hub provides quite limited stats:
Modem Status Connected
Traffic Type:PTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):1316
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):9896

(unless anyone knows how to interrogate this further?

I'm about to ask the question in another thread about definitive "behaviour" of DLM (dynamic line management) as there seems to be slightly varying stories out there.
Good luck with your Sky Self Install!, I was surprised that they only include 1 microfilter in the modem pack.

Cheers,
flipdee

Edited by flipdee (Mon 03-Feb-14 13:17:04)

Standard User flipdee
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 13:34:33
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

My Mk2 faceplates arrived, very very quick delivery from the ebay seller doing them.
Order saturday, arrived today.
Feel like my hands are tied somewhat, might try one of them on my long established 70Mbps home line to see if it has any impact.

Cheers,
flipdee
Standard User sshaikh
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 13:48:09
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

Hi

The estimate was 40mbps according to the agent on the phone.

I was also told that I would get 2 microfilters. To be honest wanting the VDSL plate is just me being fussy.

Thanks for the tip regarding setting it up first. Actually I want to try the new plate with my ADSL line before it gets switched anyway to see if it makes a difference.

My current modem is less than a metre from the socket (I had it installed new for ADSL broadband, so it's already in the right place I guess).

Thanks!

Edited by sshaikh (Mon 03-Feb-14 13:48:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to