General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chris52
(learned) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:06:02
Print Post

How do I fnd the Progress of Village Fibre Connection?

[link to this post]

Is there any way that I can find out what is happening with fibre installation into my village?

We have been in process for nearly 6 months now & we thought that we were very near but now a 3 day BT road closure notice has appeared on roadworks.org for the 3-5 May (the 3rd is the bank Holiday Monday!) on the cable route into the village and involving nearly half a mile of road. Ref: BC005CC8W00000EA1JUU4601.

The whole village is served by Acle Cabinet 4.

As Acle exchange is now enabled the postcode checker tells me nothing and the wholsesale checker merely tells me what we have.

Edited by chris52 (Mon 03-Feb-14 11:21:23)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:15:36
Print Post

Re: How do I fnd the Progress of Village Fibre Connection?

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

Looks likely that the delay was getting permission to get a road closed so something could be done.

As the fibre installs are not emergencies BT has to wait for the council to give clearance for roadworks

So looks like blocked duct or new pavement chamber (in road) being built at a guess.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris52
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:10:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is unbelievably frustrating.

I have now had a reply from both OpenReach & the Highways Department. The highways department don't know why there is an application for a road closure but only that they have received one. They have not held up the application as when I spoke to the engineer yesterday he had not even considered the application.

Openreach say that they can't tell me anything as the cabinet is not part of the commercial rollout and that as a result I should contact me County Council Better Broadband department.

My County Council effectively say that they are in the hands of Openreach & don't know any more.

So we have a fibre cabinet which has a power connection (I can hear the fans) and a road closure notice for May (3 months away) for an unknown purpose.

Surely I can do better than this?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:19:51
Print Post

If its a BDUK cab, then council does have some input.

Alternatively it could be that the road work teams who work for Openreach are already busy until May, i.e. this was the first gap in their work schedule, without having to push back other cabinets.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:35:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris52:
This is unbelievably frustrating.

I have now had a reply from both OpenReach & the Highways Department. The highways department don't know why there is an application for a road closure but only that they have received one. They have not held up the application as when I spoke to the engineer yesterday he had not even considered the application.

Openreach say that they can't tell me anything as the cabinet is not part of the commercial rollout and that as a result I should contact me County Council Better Broadband department.

My County Council effectively say that they are in the hands of Openreach & don't know any more.

So we have a fibre cabinet which has a power connection (I can hear the fans) and a road closure notice for May (3 months away) for an unknown purpose.

Surely I can do better than this?

If it's a full road closure your council require 3 months notice of the streetworks, these being considered major works due to full closure of a road.

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/view/NCC092421

Major Works: Duration 11 or more working days, must notice this work a minimum of three months prior to the estimated start date or involving a road closure.

You can't do better; obviously Openreach have hit some problems and need to unexpectedly do some quite extensive works. Sorry frown
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 04-Feb-14 10:28:47
Print Post

What do you need to know, that they need to close the road to access the man holes to install the blown fibre tubing?
The BDUK authority should know, and if they don't, they should find it out. They are supposed to be in charge.
Standard User chris52
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-14 12:24:37
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

If it's a full road closure your council require 3 months notice of the streetworks, these being considered major works due to full closure of a road.

Major Works: Duration 11 or more working days, must notice this work a minimum of three months prior to the estimated start date or involving a road closure.

You can't do better; obviously Openreach have hit some problems and need to unexpectedly do some quite extensive works. Sorry frown

It is only a 3 day closure so 10 days notice would have done I think.

It would be nice to know where we are. The village was expecting connection January & plans were made on that basis. If it is now May/June it would be nice to know and just to know what is happening. We had thought that the 2 days of work in December cleared the ducts.

It matters because much of the village currently has a 0.5-1.5mb connection. 40mb+ will make an enormous difference to what can be done
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 13:15:56
Print Post

Not the point. It's a full road closure so considered as major works regardless of its 3 day duration.

Closing a road in both directions is a fairly big deal most of the time.

The council are the point of contact for the programme. It's their programme, Openreach are the contractor doing the work.
Standard User chris52
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-14 14:57:37
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thank you - at least that explains why whatever is happening is 3 months away.

Agree it is normally a big deal. This is off peak only which, I am guessing, might be so that it doesn't disturb school buses etc.
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 16:14:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris52:
Thank you - at least that explains why whatever is happening is 3 months away.

Agree it is normally a big deal. This is off peak only which, I am guessing, might be so that it doesn't disturb school buses etc.

If you look at the roadworks for the area for the next 12 months you see another couple that are short in duration but are closing the road, so have to be planned a way in advance.

Sorry; I do feel your pain having been on very slow broadband myself and having had to chase and chase to improve it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to